Railroad Forums 

• Dock Bridge - Passaic River

• This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.
This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1550695  by Arborwayfan

I'd be curious to hear specifics about the particular river and what goes on on it, but if the CG is not speaking against it, it's probably a good idea:

The Coast Guard (the governing agency, from whose perspective Amtrak wants to permanently close the bridge) is really unlikely to allow a movable bridge to be converted into a fixed bridge if there is any significant shipping traffic that needs the bridge to be opened to pass through. Maybe they would allow it if there were occasional ships or sailboats that would have to wait until low tide. The law is pretty clear about the prior rights of shipping. I'm thinking of the draw in the East Cambridge Viaduct, the swing bridge on the Charles River a little further down, the various movable bridges on the Fort Point Channel -- all kept in working order until there was no water traffic that needed them.

From the railroad's perspective it's got to be a good idea, not just because it's expensive to keep a movable bridge in working order, but also because such a bridge has to be staffed 24/7 and needs an interlocking (with its own maintenance) to protect trains. A story that starts "As the early morning Acela express headed south at 100 mph, the engineer saw that the drawbridge ahead was open" is not going to end well.
 #1550711  by WhartonAndNorthern

Arborwayfan wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:10 am From the railroad's perspective it's got to be a good idea, not just because it's expensive to keep a movable bridge in working order, but also because such a bridge has to be staffed 24/7 and needs an interlocking (with its own maintenance) to protect trains.
Not necessarily. Many bridges around the New York Metro Area are "open on 24 hours notice" or 4 hour notice or "not during rush hour." They aren't staffed until the operating agency/company is notified of a movement. These are bridges on navigable waterways (Harlem River, Newtown Creek, the neighboring Hackensack River, etc.) that aren't used as much. If a barge is planning on moving, it's so few and far between and announced well in advance.

Even the LIRR/NYA bridges on Dutch Kills (Newtown Creek tributary) and NYSW and CSX bridges on Overpeck Creek (Hackensack tributary) probably CAN'T open anymore. They're legally supposed to be operable but no one's asked for an opening in YEARS.

Enough Hackensack River bridges have become permanently fixed and the river's so shallow that they can't get the USS Ling (museum submarine) moved from its berth (ownership change). The Passaic (where Dock Bridge is ) sees less marine traffic than the Hackensack.

I do wonder, if Dock is permanently fixed, can NJT "fix" the M&E Line bridge east of Newark?. Heck if they're giving up on navigation totally, they can swing DB Draw (Boonton line) into the closed position. That said, it's a lower clearance bridge and NS isn't serving freight along that line (Dover and Delware River is) and the freight interchange point is Phillipsburg. Still it would have made a direct connection to NS Croxton Yard more of a possibility.
 #1550725  by codasd

A local NJ newspaper article I read states there were already fixed bridges on the waterway (auto?). Seems it was getting stuck when they did the CG required test to verify it would open. The article did not state there was no river traffic that required the bridge to be open, but implied that fact.
 #1550733  by west point

Read somewhere that Dock bridge has been opened more more for required test openings than actual openings. Almost every opening has required some sort of maintenance to close and get proper signals. Any one know for sure ?
 #1550744  by R36 Combine Coach

I-280 Stickel (north of the M&E bridge) is a movable span, and was rehabilitated as such in 2007. Further north NJ Route 3 was replaced with an all new widened fixed span in 2011-2014, but Lyndhurst on Main Line (original Boonton Line) is still active (bolted shut), with 48 hour notice.
WhartonAndNorthern wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:05 pm Not necessarily. Many bridges around the New York Metro Area are "open on 24 hours notice" or 4 hour notice or "not during rush hour." They aren't staffed until the operating agency/company is notified of a movement. If a barge is planning on moving, it's so few and far between and
announced well in advance.
When the Triborough lift span opens, MTA will usually announce in advance to advise alternate routes.
 #1550754  by JimBoylan

Title 33 Code Federal Regulations Subpart B subsection 117.739 Passaic River. (e) The draw of the Amtrak Dock Bridge, mile 5.0, at Harrison, shall open on signal after at least a twenty-four hour advance notice is given by calling the number posted at the bridge; except that, from 7:20 a.m. to 9:20 a.m. and from 4:30 p.m. to 6:50 p.m., Monday through Friday, except Federal holidays, the draw need not be opened for the passage of vessel traffic. At all other times, a bridge opening may be delayed no more than ten minutes for the passage of rail traffic, unless the draw tender and the vessel operator agree to a longer delay.
 #1550756  by JimBoylan

Arborwayfan wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:10 amThe law is pretty clear about the prior rights of shipping. I'm thinking of the draw in the East Cambridge Viaduct, the swing bridge on the Charles River a little further down, the various movable bridges on the Fort Point Channel -- all kept in working order until there was no water traffic that needed them.
Title 33 Code Federal Regulations Subpart B subsection 117.591 Charles River and its tributaries. (c) The draw of the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (East Cambridge Viaduct) railroad Bridge, mile 1.0 at Boston, need not be opened for the passage of vessels. However, the operating machinery of the draw shall be maintained in an operable condition.
There is no longer any specific regulation for the Fort Point Channel, and there is a newer fixed railroad bridge just upstream to complete a wye.
 #1550816  by R36 Combine Coach

At Dock, the PATH span is slightly higher. While Dock appears to be a "twin span", the east span (built 1937)
actually has two bridges, the PATH span and track 1. The west span (built 1935) is three tracks. When opened
3/23/35, NWK station only had the three west tracks and the headhouse in service. The eastern tracks, H&M and
Newark City Subway followed on 6/20/37.
 #1551491  by jbvb

Having walked across the Summer St. bridge over Fort Point Channel occasionally for a decade, it cannot possibly be opened; the tracks on which the movable sections rolled back and sideways can barely support the seagulls. I know it could open about 1960, as my father took me to see the last ocean going freighter to dock there: sugar for a plant that was about to move to Mystic Wharf. I don't think it could open during the '70s but I didn't cross it often.
 #1632697  by Jeff Smith

FRA Funding: FRA.DOT.GOV
New Jersey – Gateway Program: Dock Bridge Rehabilitation (Up to $300,184,000)

The proposed project includes construction for rehabilitation of the Dock Bridge, which crosses the Passaic River between Newark and Harrison, NJ. The 90-year-old, six-track, steel through-truss bridge will undergo repair of the structural steel, installation of straight steel rails to replace moveable miter rails, repair to concrete piers and fender replacement, and installation of a targeted anti-corrosion protection system to slow or stop future degradation to the bridge structure. The project will improve operations for Amtrak's intercity services, as well as New Jersey Transit commuter services and Port Authority of New York and New Jersey Port Authority Trans-Hudson transit service. Amtrak will provide $75,046,000 in matching funds.