• 40th anniversary of the last run of the 20th Century

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Otto Vondrak

On December 2, 1967, the last run of the 20th Century Limited departed Grand Central Terminal... on December 3, one of the most famous trains in America was officially discontinued as the New York Central prepared for the 1968 Penn Central merger.

I have it on good authority that a celebration is planned to commemorate the 40th anniversary of the last run. Festivities will include the restored Hickory Creek making a visit to the bumping blocks at Grand Central Terminal. From what I understand, short excursions (GCT-ALB) are also in the planning stages, giving people an opportunity to enjoy a ride in this famous car on its home rails. Who thought in 2007 this would ever be possible?

I'll post more details as I get them. I'm looking forward to this event! From what I understand, it's the result of a lot of cooperation between a lot of agencies and private individuals. Seems like some groups have not forgotten the importance of marking historic events!

-otto-

by Clean Cab

Has it really been 40 years? It is sad that such a famous train doesn't run any more. I seem to recall that the last 20th Century Limited arrived at GCT something like 18 hours late?

by Otto Vondrak

I read the last train was nine hours late into Chicago due to a freight derailment in Ohio, and the train detoured over the Nickel Plate.

I'm pretty excited that the Hickory Creek is coming to Grand Central! Nice of Metro-North to accomodate an event like this! I'll be saving my sheckels to take a ride if I can...

-otto-

by O-6-O

If only a J3a was waiting at Harmon for one more blast west.

by SimplySam

Otto- Please do keep us posted!

by Tadman

Any idea why the Century was discontinued shortly pre-merger while the Broadway wasn't? Was it red-team supremacy, lack of business, or a whole bunch of different reasons.

With regards to the final Century detouring over NKP, if you have to detour a fast train, the NKP was the place to do it. If I recall, that was a pretty fast main.

by Otto Vondrak

I think the decision came from NYC folks... they felt they could not maintain the level of service that befitted the name "Twentieth Century." Even in its last years, more and more coaches found their way into what was once an all-first-class train. NY-Chicago service was still offered, just not under the Twentieth Century name.

-otto-
  by eazy521

I don't recall the details, but at some point in the 1960s, PRR added coaches to Broadway Limited and perhaps even changed the train number to reflect its change in status.

Both trains were effectively gone by the late 1960s even if the Broadway's name still showed up in the timetable.

An analogy would be VIA Rail's early 1990s decision to move the Canadian from its original CPR routing to the CN while keeping the Canadian name.

Eric

by Septa Fan

I could be wrong, I was only in my teens at the time, but I think that the Broadway was all Pullman until after the 20th Century's demise. Nonetheless, all reputable authorities agree that the 20th Century was the measure of quality and service. ( Nod to Alfred Hitchcock ) If the forum permits personal requests, I for one, would be very interested in being informed about any anniversary commemorations.
Thank you
SEPTA FAN

by alewifebp

Wow, this is pretty amazing news. By GCT-ALB I assume you mean Albany? I really wouldn't consider this a "short" excursion given the 5 hour plus round trip time, although it certainly is not the full monty if you will.

Do keep us posted.

by Work Extra

Otto,
Thanks for sharing that information with us, I hope to be able to attend the event. I see that NYC observation car in the Amtrak Sunny Side yard, also in the yard is NYC (#30?) in think, well it's painted dark gray or green with "NEW YORK CENTRAL" across the top. along with some other private cars.
Hickory Creek was in Sunny Side last a few days ago and from the outside that car was beautiful. I have yet to see the inside.

by Otto Vondrak

Yes, GCT-ALB is indeed in the realm of a reasonable day trip. And a great way to experience the Hickory Creek rolling along the majestic Hudson without committing to a three-day journey to Chicago (at greater expense, I might add).

NYC #3 is another privately owned car, I don't think it's part of the festivities. I haven't heard anything either way.

If I hear any other definite details, I'll let you know.

-otto-

by Dieter

If they're going to park the Hickory Creek at Track 34 for any kind of a ceremony, let's get a TV crew there.

D/

by kitn1mcc

niceee

by Otto Vondrak

I'm waiting to hear the details about these proposed trips... there are many public and private groups involved in pulling this off. If the trips look to be cost prohibitive, then the event may just be restricted to a display and tours of the car in GCT. If I hear anything else, I'll post.

-otto-