• 40th anniversary of the last run of the 20th Century

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Otto Vondrak

Well, I found some more information- on the NYCRR Yahoo LIst:
I and the URHS / hickory creek folks are TRYING to get something going, including a car display on trk 34 GCT, and trips up and down the Hudson Div from GCT versus the inappropriate NYP.

The trips are planned to be full service - food and beverage - with possibly two cars, the epicurus along for dining, and run sat dec 1 and sunday dec 2. Our friends at Amtrak are supportive as usual, THX.

Monday dec 3 is the 40th anniversary of the 20 century's last timetable scheduled days, and we may ? have a presentation, etc., and a final trip Monday up the hudson, returning down into NYP..?

Talks with all parties are ongoing, if anyone can exert some positive influence to MNCR / politicians / tourist groups, etc. that may help...?! IF we get this firmed up and then IF we get sufficient orders in, this just may happen..?! We believe it will be a win win all around, good PR for all, etc.

THX, Bill Strassner

by Dieter

This is a Public Relations opportunity that Metro North should exploit to the fullest. I assume the excursions will be pulled by the FL-9 painted in Lightning Stripes?

D/

by Otto Vondrak

While a nice thought, there are currently no active lightning stripe FL9's on the Metro-North roster (technically, the only active FL9's at all belong to CDOT). Also, if this train is to go to Albany, CSX will not allow MN engines on the property. Any excursions will be operated as Amtrak trains (With MN pilots from GCT to Yonkers, or wherever).

-otto-

by alewifebp

Also don't forget that the FL-9's are no longer dual mode capable, so that would also preclude them from departing from GCT.

by tunelowplayhard

Please keep in mind that this plan has NOT been agreed to by the agencies involved; however, I think it is important to let all of you know of our intentions. The purpose of this project is to recognize and celebrate the 40th Anniversary of the last run of the 20th Century Limited. In my opinion, there is no better way of doing this than having the Hickory Creek displayed on the bumping block on track 34 in Grand Central Terminal. That being said, as you would expect these types of projects require significant funding to become a reality. So, in an effort to generate the funding required to get the car to GCT, we are planning the following events/excursions which have been presented for consideration and approval: Sunday, November 18: NYP-ALB-GCT; Saturday, December 1: GCT-ALB-GCT; Sunday, December 2: GCT-ALB-GCT; Monday, December 3: following a rededication/recognition ceremony, GCT-ALB-NYP. All of these trips would operate as Amtrak Specials with Amtrak power, the Hickory Creek and 1 or 2 additional cars (depending on the demand), and MN pilots as appropriate. On the days that the special excursions are not running, we will be open for public tours as well as some other events currently being planned. I will keep you all posted as more information is made available. Please feel free to contact me through luxuryrailvacation.com with any questions or suggestions you may have. Remember, this can not happen without the support of everyone involved and we will need to ramp up quickly and get commitments/deposits on fares once the clear signal is given. I would love nothing more than to be posting another message in mid-December thanking you all for a successful event, so we will keep our fingers crossed and see what happens.

Sincerely,

SC

by Otto Vondrak

Thanks for letting us know the scoop. When are you taking orders for reservations and deposits? Is there info on the Hickory Creek web site?

-otto-

by alewifebp

I think you will find that there is a contingent of ardent railfans that will pay decent scratch to ride this train. I know that I'll purchase tickets as soon as they are available (assuming the ticket price isn't astronomical). I would suggest a mailing list for interested parties so that everyone can get the word at the same time.

by bingdude

NYC #3 was on the end of this morning's Adirondack.

Work Extra wrote:Otto,
Thanks for sharing that information with us, I hope to be able to attend the event. I see that NYC observation car in the Amtrak Sunny Side yard, also in the yard is NYC (#30?) in think, well it's painted dark gray or green with "NEW YORK CENTRAL" across the top. along with some other private cars.
Hickory Creek was in Sunny Side last a few days ago and from the outside that car was beautiful. I have yet to see the inside.

by bingdude

I read somewhere that the last all-Pullman run of the Broadway was in March of 1967. It was also the last all-Pullman First Class train run in the US.

By the way The Century was not train #1 and #2 in the NYC timetable. That honor went to The Pacemaker.
Septa Fan wrote:I could be wrong, I was only in my teens at the time, but I think that the Broadway was all Pullman until after the 20th Century's demise. Nonetheless, all reputable authorities agree that the 20th Century was the measure of quality and service. ( Nod to Alfred Hitchcock ) If the forum permits personal requests, I for one, would be very interested in being informed about any anniversary commemorations.
Thank you
SEPTA FAN

by Otto Vondrak

The proposed display and trips have been cancelled due to a lack of time to coordinate all groups. However, look for news in 2008 of a display to mark the 60th anniversary of the introduction of the 1948 Twentieth Century Limited.

-otto-

by Lucius Ameri

It should also be noted that not only will it be the 40th anniversary of the last departure of the 20th Century Limited, it will be the 40th anniversary of the last departures of the Ohio State Limited, Empire State Express, the Wolverine, and others.

by Jeff Smith

Otto Vondrak wrote:Well, I found some more information- on the NYCRR Yahoo LIst:
Otto - do you have a link for this list? Yahoo Groups and Lists have always proved difficult for me to navigate. Thanks.

Jeff