Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

by Supaned

Hi,

I've been reading various snippets online concerning AMT Montreal accquiring a number of GE E60C-2 electric locomotives from Mexico with a view to using them in passenger service.

Can anybody give any further info on this project , or post links to any photos or info?

Cheers

Supaned

by Ken V

I don't have much info on this. From what I have read, AMT (the Montreal area transit authority) is looking at using the E60's for a new service northeast of the city which would connect with the existing electric line through the Mount Royal tunnel.
  by amtrakhogger

We need them on the Corridor for 91,97, and 19 and work train service to Boston!

by Irish Chieftain

If AMT's getting them, the only service it could be for is for extra trainsets for the planned Repentigny-Mascouche service (as push-pull electric, like NJT operates). But you ask me, they'd be far better off buying more MR-90 EMUs or some other kind of EMU…

N de M E60s going up to Boston? I didn't hear about them having automatic variable-tap transformers; nor did I hear about them being able to operate at even the 90 mph the former Amtrak units finally were supposed to be capable of.

by Gilbert B Norman

Here is a photo album of the NdeM E-60 locomotives.

by SteelWheels21

What was the deal with the electric line in Mexico..they had a bad wreck and mothballed the whole project? I vaguely remember something about it, but specifics would be welcome.
  by amtrakhogger

I was joking about the NdeM E60s coming to Amtrak. It would be unlikely for Amtrak to get any of these engines since they just disposed of their own, two years ago.