Railroad Forums 

• CSX train derailment Hoffmans NY

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1626797  by Railjunkie

CSX has a train on the ground at CP169 of the Mohawk sub were they split to go to the Selkirk and Amtrak goes to its own main. Judging from the pictures I have seen so far there may be Hazmat involved. In one picture I can count about 7 cars 3 or which are tank cars.

What this means for Empire service trains west of Schenectady? If you coming or going in the next four to five days seek alternate transportation. I dont see a bus bridge being set up and the possibility of CSX letting us ping pong back forth between Amsterdam and Niagara Falls,
 #1626811  by Gilbert B Norman

Safe statement to say there have been worse derailment incidents:

Albany Times Union

Fair Use:
AMSTERDAM — A CSX freight train derailed Friday morning in Montgomery County, causing a road closure and impacting Amtrak rail service to Albany. The incident happened just before 8 a.m. along Route 5 in Montgomery County close to the Schenectady County line and 17 cars hauling mixed freight from Scotia were reported to be derailed, CSX said in a statement. Nine of those cars were empty tankers, according to preliminary reports.
 #1626831  by Railjunkie

There was Hazardous material in the tanks but it was residue. Some stuff I cant pronounce let alone spell along with propane. Train was traveling westbound from the Selkirk to the Mohawk Sub. No crew members hurt no evacuations. Here are the problems.
A. Mohawk river on one side of the derailment site and RT5 is on the other. Cars will have to be moved a couple of tenths of a mile either uphill or west of the site. There just is not much room were this happened.
B. Eastbound cantilever signal mast is gone and will have to be replaced and tested.
C. Most of the switches inside the plant are damaged or tore up including the #7 switch which gets Amtrak from CSX to Amtrak proper.
This is the information as given to us this morning from the morning brief from CSX.

Amtrak did have buses to get people from Albany to Syracuse and back and were turning equipment on the wye at C291. AMT 280 was towed by the engines off the derailed train back to Syracuse to be turned.
How tomorrow will work out who knows I did not hear anything tonight as I was leaving other than everything going west was not going to run. Unless a minor miracle happens overnight. Its close to drive to the site but its dark and I'm tired.
 #1626873  by Gilbert B Norman

After reviewing the Times Union report Mr.. Wolf submitted. I must wonder how the noted advocacy group can begin to compare this incident with Megantic and even East Palestine:
Hudson Valley-based environmental advocacy group Riverkeeper criticized a lack of regulations for rail lines in a statement Friday, calling for tighter safety regulations, spill prevention and response plans.

"Just upstream from where the derailment occurred, 280,000 people rely on the Mohawk River for drinking water," the statement said, later adding, "While initial reports indicate there was no spill, fire or loss of life, the incident indicates that the Hudson and Mohawk Rivers and the communities along them are not immune from disasters that have struck Lac-Megantic, Quebec, East Palestine, Ohio, and other communities."
 #1626896  by Railjunkie

Pictures of the derailment sight can be found on FB @ Montgomery County Sherriff's Department-NY. If you do look at the drone photos you will see by what I said by no space.

It is quite close to the river like less than 100 ft. so I can see the panic, I know the engineer thought about it when he looked back and saw his train piling up behind him. The good thing empties mostly on the front except loaded construction demo cars. Train was 160 cars 17k tons with all the weight on the rear. Amtrak #280 could have been tied up in this mess had that train been about 5 to 10 minutes later. They were at or about Amsterdam about 8 miles away.

When I left work tonight CSX had one track open and they were slowly rebuilding the rest of the interlocking. The switch to Amtrak property I'm sure is not high on the priority list. Nothing going west Sunday with the exception of maybe, possibly, kinda sorta ish AMT 49 Sunday night.
 #1626913  by urr304

The good thing empties mostly on the front except loaded construction demo cars. Train was 160 cars 17k tons with all the weight on the rear.
Seems the rail industry didn't learn anything from six months ago at East Palestine or Ravenna in Ohio in last November. It may get dicey with Congress and the FRA and State governments stepping up.

Thank the Lord that the EB Amtrak was noted to be in Amsterdam, you could have had one of those infamous wrecks with injuries and loss of life.

In 1976, I paced a WB Amtrak with PC units in lead along this stretch.
 #1626939  by Railjunkie

In case you missed it AMT 48 ran the detour route, well for Amtrak anyway. Over the Selkirk Sub through the yard over the Alfred H Smith and then towed into Albany. Still single track through the derailment site as I think they might be reconfiguring the interlocking. Maybe tomorrow trains will start going west.

Get rid of the long trains and DPUs and I would wager a guess some of the issues plaguing the railroad industry might go away. That and some proper maintenance.
 #1627031  by urr304

Not to stray too far, but we had some awfully long BP-5/6 on PC go up the E&P in W.Pennsylvania in 1969-71 time period. I regularly counted 150+ cars [one was 215]. Speed was 20, so it was a long wait at our town's crossings; sometimes had pushers and many times not on WB [compass north].
 #1627115  by Railjunkie

tk48states wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:56 pm 49 lost 2hr 24 mins tonite between Albany and Schenectady! Cleanup to blame?
No, they had a debris strike coming into Schenectady. Parted hoses and cables and I'm not sure what it did to the engines. Mechanical was on their way from the shop as I was walking out.

The derailment site is seven miles west of Schenectady and everything that came and went to lost minimal time.
 #1627318  by StLouSteve

Just rode the LSL from Chicago to upstate NY. The NS section was horrible. Jolted awake many times and had to hope we stayed on the rails. In comparison, the CSX tracks are great. Wonderfully smooth and well-maintained. Therefore, if I was to speculate, I might think the cause of this derailment is more likely to be a car or train defect rather than something rail-related. Has anyone gotten more details on the cause?