Railroad Forums 

• The 10 Most Beautiful Train Stations In The US

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1617564  by Jeff Smith

https://a-z-animals.com/blog/see-the-mo ... in-the-us/

I put this here in Amtrak although some stations may no longer serve as passenger stations. What are your thoughts? I have to go with my local GCT.
 #1617589  by STrRedWolf

As much as I wish Baltimore Penn Station was on the list, I have to defer to Washington Union Station... namely because the old gal in Charm City's getting a much needed face lift.

I do need to see her again.
 #1617630  by ExCon90

That's a lot like trying to name the best restaurant in a major city -- different qualities have to be rated against each other. I think there's a lot to be said for The Station Formerly Known As LAUPT, Los Angeles Union Station; it also has a history of impending decrepitude from around the 1980's, but look at it now. (There's a thread somewhere about passenger tracks removed and since restored, or needing to be; I think LAUPT was down to a single lead from Mission Tower to the platforms; LAUS is now back to five leads.)

I'm not rating it above those already mentioned, but I'd certainly put it in the top five.
 #1617631  by Matt Johnson

I would agree as well. I hear that Washington Union Station has gone downhill with more vacancies in the retail space and more vagrancy, which is most unfortunate. I hope that trend can be turned around. Moynihan Train Hall is great but doesn't quite recapture the grandeur of the original Penn Station.

I recently visited Grand Central to check out the new East Side Access addition. Quite nice, glad I visited while it was still new, clean, and not too busy yet.

Santiago Calatrava's Oculus at the redeveloped WTC site is one of the more impressive recent build stations, assuming that counts as a train station.
 #1617635  by ExCon90

I should add that I only read the link after submitting my post above; I see nothing to object to among the ten mentioned. Considering what's happened to intercity rail service in the U. S., it's remarkable that any remain.
 #1617639  by R36 Combine Coach

St. Louis Union Station didn't appear, but technically still active with charters, private car excursions and the Polar Express, though no longer serving intercity service.

HOB and NWK are also runners up: both renovated in recent years with heavy investment by NJT and the former
having its original ferry terminal restored and back in service.
 #1617648  by ExCon90

I would say NWK is more utilitarian than beautiful, although passenger flows and the intricate grade-separated track arrangements of trains (now Amtrak and NJT) and H&M (now PATH) are exemplary, but HOB certainly rates Honorable Mention for its overall design. Especially good that ferry access is now at the terminal itself (I haven't seen it since that was placed in service). The only thing missing now is the ferries with two passenger decks and two-level boarding access to the ferries at both HOB and Manhattan, a characteristic of Hudson River railroad ferries for many years.
 #1617690  by Ken W2KB

ExCon90 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:00 pm The only thing missing now is the ferries with two passenger decks and two-level boarding access to the ferries at both HOB and Manhattan, a characteristic of Hudson River railroad ferries for many years.
Ahhh, memories. I was a passenger on the very last ferryboat to cross the Hudson River of both the Jersey Central and EL ferries on those sad occasions, in the Spring and Fall respectively, in 1967.
 #1617947  by FLWfan

The article didn't indicate who came up with the winning list and the criteria under which these stations rose to the top 10, but excluding the grand and beautiful Chicago Union Station is weird - to say the least. Additionally, I hate websites that are more advertisement than content.