Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak’s Growing Pains with Siemens Locomotives

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1638692  by SRich

Tadman wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:03 pm
RandallW wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:36 am Metra's F40s do not draw HEP off the prime mover, but carry a separate generator, while Amtrak's F40s and P42s draw HEP from the prime mover. I understand it's a trade off between available horsepower and maintenance costs.
Metra's F40's do indeed have crankshaft-driven HEP which is why they call them screamers. I lived there for years and walked past them at the north end of the north concourse in CUS where they were very loud. Perhaps you are thinking of the MP36, some of which are pony motor-driven and some are inverter driven HEP.

Turns out the P42 can use a traction inverter to power HEP in stations, but when pulling the train the HEP draws off the alternator and the engine must run at 900rpm.
Can you provide some info, i have always believed that a p42 draw HEP from a second HEP generator in standymode at 720 rpm or 900 rpm when in traction mode.
 #1638697  by eolesen

RandallW wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:36 am Metra's F40s do not draw HEP off the prime mover, but carry a separate generator
You've definitely confused the MP36's with the F40PH's. As Tadman said, the MP36's have a standalone generator, and the EMD's are tied to the prime mover. Given the amount of time they spend in motion vs. stopped to provide HEP, it's probably a wash on the fuel savings.
 #1638759  by NaugyRR

The emissions system issues don't surprise me. I work in the ag equipment industry and the OEM's are still trying to figure out a system that really works. Of course it doesn't help with the engines being built by a different OEM than the chassis (both rail and ag), it just adds another complication into the loop.

That's not all to say that I'm against emissions controls, I would like to live out the rest of my years without moving to Mars... but I do know that DPF and SCR systems can be a rotten pain in the ass!
 #1638779  by CSRR573

What's interesting is that as a machinist, we can't touch the prime mover on these locos. Even emissions stuff will be contracted out to Cummins. I'm not sure how the Unions lets this just slide by
 #1638782  by eolesen

I'm sure the union was consulted... it's not uncommon to have it be part of the purchase agreement for the vendor to support certain components during the warranty period or a long term support agreement.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

#1638785  by NaugyRR

CSRR573 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:32 am What's interesting is that as a machinist, we can't touch the prime mover on these locos. Even emissions stuff will be contracted out to Cummins. I'm not sure how the Unions lets this just slide by
In our industry we can work on the engines, and replace emission control components. If anything like injection pumps, after burners, DPF, etc. needs we repair, then we need to send it out to a third party for repair. Usually it's cheaper to just replace, and knock on wood, we haven't had to send a DPF to get baked yet.
 #1638796  by eolesen

From firsthand sales experience, the contract for performing maintenance and field support is usually more financially lucrative than the initial purchase. From a purchasing standpoint, you have a fixed cost over the lifespan of the locomotive.

Finance teams on both sides love it, and I can see where organized labor might not so enthusiastic.

#1638839  by CSRR573

eolesen wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:10 am I'm sure the union was consulted... it's not uncommon to have it be part of the purchase agreement for the vendor to support certain components during the warranty period or a long term support agreement.

We have Siemens techs on the property for tech support for the ACS-64s, however they're not allowed to replace or repair parts on the locos. They're basically a parts department for us.