• Physical connections between different transit lines

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Tracer

Do the green line, red, blue etc. have any physical connections between them? Not sure if any of the lines share any mow equipment or something.

I think this was asked a while ago but i couldnt find the thread.

Thanks!
  by sery2831

Yes there is a thread, but I do not have time to search for it at the moment... MoW equipment is shared, but is trucked from line to line. All the MoW equipment is maintained in a garage near Sullivan Square/Charlestown bus garage.
  by TrainManTy

Additionally, a good chunk of MOW equipment is high-rail equipped road vehicles.

There once was a connection between today's Blue and Red Lines down Cambridge Street from Bowdoin to the Longfellow Bridge. It was used to move Blue Line cars to the Red Line shops, since the former didn't yet have a shop of its own. (The color-coded names, of course, were not applied to these lines yet.)
  by The EGE

None of the lines have direct connections except for the Red Line to the A-M Line at Codman Yard. The Green Line has a still-viable connection to the Worcester Line at Riverside; it was used in 1996 to run commuter rail trains when the Central Subway was flooded. The Orange Line used to have a connection at the Medford Branch overpass, but that's OOS. Blue Line has no connection to anything else.

The Green Line will likely get a connection to the larger rail network at the new carhouse as part of GLX.
  by ns3010

TrainManTy wrote:Additionally, a good chunk of MOW equipment is high-rail equipped road vehicles.

There once was a connection between today's Blue and Red Lines down Cambridge Street from Bowdoin to the Longfellow Bridge. It was used to move Blue Line cars to the Red Line shops, since the former didn't yet have a shop of its own. (The color-coded names, of course, were not applied to these lines yet.)
I'm guessing that when the connection was severed, short sections were left attached to the Blue Line, leaving what is now the Bowdoin tail tracks?
  by RailBus63

ns3010 wrote:
TrainManTy wrote:Additionally, a good chunk of MOW equipment is high-rail equipped road vehicles.

I'm guessing that when the connection was severed, short sections were left attached to the Blue Line, leaving what is now the Bowdoin tail tracks?
Correct.
  by Adams_Umass_Boston

sery2831 wrote:Yes there is a thread, but I do not have time to search for it at the moment... MoW equipment is shared, but is trucked from line to line. All the MoW equipment is maintained in a garage near Sullivan Square/Charlestown bus garage.
There have been several John,
Rapid Transit/Commuter Rail track connections
http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... ns#p165877" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Early 2006
Physical connections from commuter rail to rapid transit?
http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... ns#p247195" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mid 2006
Commuter rail and rapid transit physical connections?
http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... ns#p339657" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

late 2006
Red Line splits, branches, and connections
http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... ns#p333262" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Physical track connections between rapid transit lines?
http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... ns#p524371" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope that helps
R-
  by Arborwayfan

Does anyone have a picture of a trolley being towed by a C-D car, in the subway or elsewhere? I've just enjoyed an hour of looking for one online, with no luck (or at least no luck finding that particular picture; I saw a lot of other interesting ones.)
  by CRail

The Blue Line connection was by way of the Grand Junction, which now goes no further than Everett. The ROW that connected to the East Boston Tunnel (Blue Line) is now the East Boston Greenway.

Arborway: I do know of such photos which exist, none online though.
  by theseaandalifesaver

[quote="CRail"]The Blue Line connection was by way of the Grand Junction, which now goes no further than Everett. The ROW that connected to the East Boston Tunnel (Blue Line) is now the East Boston Greenway.

Arborway: I do know of such photos which exist, none online though.[/quote]

The Grand Junction is nowhere near Everett. The Grand Junction split from the main line a few hundred feet passed the present day Chelsea station. There's also another split from the Main line further up the line in Revere right near route 16.

What you're thinking about is the, I assume, is the Saugus Branch.
  by sery2831

No the Grand Junction Branch is correct. The Grand Jct Branch took a right at Chelsea Station and passed through Chelsea and crossed the Chelsea Creek on a draw next to the draw bridge that was just replaced. The split further up is now referred to as the East Boston Branch(I believe this was a B&M branch and did not connect to the Grand Jct, but was later connected... Maybe?). The Saugus Branch is no where any of this.

And Adams_Umass_Boston THANKS so much for spending the time to get those threads dug up. I will work on merging them or something at some point when I have more time.
  by 130MM

sery2831 wrote:No the Grand Junction Branch is correct. The Grand Jct Branch took a right at Chelsea Station and passed through Chelsea and crossed the Chelsea Creek on a draw next to the draw bridge that was just replaced. The split further up is now referred to as the East Boston Branch(I believe this was a B&M branch and did not connect to the Grand Jct, but was later connected... Maybe?). The Saugus Branch is no where any of this.

And Adams_Umass_Boston THANKS so much for spending the time to get those threads dug up. I will work on merging them or something at some point when I have more time.
The val plans show a connection between the two as early as 1915. After the counterweight fell off the Chelsea Creek drawbridge, the B&M granted the B&A/PC/Conrail trackage rights to the B&M's E. Boston Br. at Revere, and then down the branch to the original Grand Jct. It's all dead now, and the area of the connection has been obliterated.

DAW
  by theseaandalifesaver

[quote="sery2831"]No the Grand Junction Branch is correct. The Grand Jct Branch took a right at Chelsea Station and passed through Chelsea and crossed the Chelsea Creek on a draw next to the draw bridge that was just replaced. The split further up is now referred to as the East Boston Branch(I believe this was a B&M branch and did not connect to the Grand Jct, but was later connected... Maybe?). The Saugus Branch is no where any of this.

And Adams_Umass_Boston THANKS so much for spending the time to get those threads dug up. I will work on merging them or something at some point when I have more time.[/quote]

That's exactly what I just said.
  by sery2831

The Grand Junction runs from Beacon Park Yard currently TO Everett, CRail is saying the line from Everett to Chelsea is abandoned. Not sure where the Saugus Branch comes into play.
  by Type7trolley

Arborwayfan wrote:Does anyone have a picture of a trolley being towed by a C-D car, in the subway or elsewhere? I've just enjoyed an hour of looking for one online, with no luck (or at least no luck finding that particular picture; I saw a lot of other interesting ones.)
I forget where I found this, but anyway..