• Tiger Valley Models

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by kevinknobl

Has anyone out there had any experiences with Tiger Valley Models?

I know they make a bunch of Alco models for HO, but have no experiences in dealing with them.

Any input would be very much appreciated. Have my eye on possibly acquiring one of their C430s.

Thanks,
Kevin

by BrianM

I have had 2 dealings with them. I ordered 3 RS3M conversion kits and got them with no problem. I then in turn placed a second order for 3 more RS3M kits and have yet to receive them. It has been about 1 year since that second order.

So, if you get in touch with them please let me know.

Brian

by kevinknobl

BrianM wrote:I have had 2 dealings with them. I ordered 3 RS3M conversion kits and got them with no problem. I then in turn placed a second order for 3 more RS3M kits and have yet to receive them. It has been about 1 year since that second order.

So, if you get in touch with them please let me know.

Brian
I sent an e-mail to this address, requesting product literature: '[email protected]'

You may want to try using this e-mail address to contact them if you have not done so already. It looks like their site was modified on July 20, 2004, so there is some activity there.

Kevin

by jwb1323

I've seen Tiger Valley kits now and then. Competently assembled, they look very good, but it's worth pointing out that they're pretty crude by current standards. Certainly where there's an equivalent Atlas or Stewart model, the Tiger Valley kits are more expensive, and you've got to put em together and paint them.

by Otto Vondrak

True, but they are craftsman kits, and in some respects, there is no comparable model available in plastic. The photos of finished models looks very nice to me...

-otto-

by Steve Wagner

I haven't bought or built any Tiger Valley Alcos myself, but I've seen some run. Since they're cast metal, they're very heavy and have great pulling power. I think some of the locos I've seen use Tiger Valley bodies on Atlas mechanisms.

Tiger Valley is reported to be very much a one-man operation, and purchasers sometimes do have to wait a while for their diesels.

by kevinknobl

Any idea on whether or not they're planning on doing a model of the T6?

Kevin

by mp15ac

I've built three of his kits. They take some work but do come out reasonable.

C-424 CP Rail (modern air filters). Old kit (1984) brass wheels, cogged-belt drive.
RS-27 Pennsy/PC current kit nickel-silver wheels delrin chain drive
C-430 NYC/PC current kit nickel-silver wheels delrin chain drive

As others here have said he is a one-man operation, so you have to be patient with him. I've spoken to him on the phone. He is a very nice guy.

Good Luck!

Stuart

by pc c636

Hello,

I have made a couple of his kits. The biggest downfall is the cab.

I kitbashed a C430 from a Stewart C630, I would recamend this method over Tiger Valley. If you have any questions, ask and I will help out.

Thanks,
Craig Levine
Sioux City, Iowa
  by rfalcone

I have dealt with Tiger Valley in the past. I have 2 Alco C-420s, Lehigh & Hudson River 21 and 29.

I bought them painted and ready to run. They have incredible pulling power and work very well at low speeds. I have had no trouble with them and as far as detail goes I really can't complain. I realize there are builders out there that get down to the rivets but these are great looking models.

The owner is quite engaging as well as knowledgeable about railroading, both model and prototype. It did take a while to get these trains but they were worth the wait.

by scopelliti

Can someone fill in more detail about the kits? Are they about the same skill/effort as Hobbytown of Boston? Is it an issue of doing some filing and cleanup, or is there a lot of drilling, cutting, etc. involved.

Ar the drives geared or do they use drive belts like mentioned earlier?

I'd really like to do a C-420 high hood (LIRR).

by mp15ac

The kits are basically like the Hobbytown of Boston kits. The biggest difference is that Tiger Valley uses a softer metal, so its easier to file.

The kits can be purchased:

Completely unassembled;
unassembled except for the drive;
assembled - ready for paint;
assembled - painted and lettered.

Obviously, each level of assembly adds to the price.

As for the drive, the early kits used a toothed belt drive. Currently they used a delrin chain drive through the rear (long hood end) truck.

Stuart

by Lake State ALCohaulic

kevinknobl wrote:Any idea on whether or not they're planning on doing a model of the T6?

Kevin
Yes! In the near or far future, it is coming! :-D
Other projects he's currently working on include...

-Alco/MLW C-636
-MLW M-420W :-D :-D :-D

by bentnosewillie

Don't hold your breath waiting for a TV M420. That's been listed on the website for at least a couple of years, and with Kaslo's M420/HR412 well on the way to being ready for market, I very much doubt TV will bother.

See http://kasloshops.com/ for the latest dope on the Kaslo M420.