• Thoughts about puttng plexi-glass around layout?

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by Chessie GM50

Pretty much what the title says. I'm wondering your opinions about installing Plexiglases around the non-access aisles on my layout.
The mean width of the layout is about 3'.
  by scharnhorst

I have Plexiglases along the edges of my layout. Its a good idea at it will keep your train from hitting the floor and or keep little hands from reaching onto the layout.
  by pennsy

Plexiglass, Acrylite, Lucite, are all acrylics and are not cheap. When I was afraid that I might just derail and send a train to the ground, about four feet, with disastrous results, I went to a friend that did work with plastic sheeting and had strips of leftovers, for the right price. They were vinyl, grey, and about six inches to a foot wide. Lengths as long as six feet or more were available. All scrap. They can easily stop a train from going over the trainboard and onto the ground.
  by workextra

I have a 4" high wall of clear plexiglass or what ever you want to call it around my entire layout. It does come in very handy in protecting spills from leaving earth and it does provide the protection from a kid trying to reach up and touch it. I never had any "cat" problems as I don't own a cat. Depending on the hight of your layout is what you base your wall around. the higher off the floor the lower it can be but I would not stray below the 2" range for protecting your investment from leaving earth and entering the unknown.
  by jbvb

I was a member of a club that did crowded open houses, so we had acrylic on all layout edges that visitors could stand next to. Our barriers were 3/16" or 1/4" thick and usually came up to shoulder height, so you couldn't switch, fix track, or photograph while they were in place. Some were clamped in place by screws through strips of wood (necessary to keep the acrylic from cracking at the screw holes). Others fitted into slots built at the top of the fascia. They all were subject to getting dirty and scratched.

I don't know if I'll wind up using any on my home layout. One possibility is strips that stick up no more than 2" above the layout edge where track is within 3 inches of the edge, to catch derailments. If I find I have a problem with elbows on the scenery anywhere (less likely with a 40" track height due to the attic location), I may use a few higher ones.
  by Chessie GM50

The main point of what I am trying to do is stop the occasional "train off the map," and the cat getting up on there.
  by Otto Vondrak

We have plastic to protect two details scenes from "busy hands" of visitors to our club. The plastic protects our Engine Terminal and an detailed city scene where visitors tend to congregate...