• Things Work Out Better The Old Way

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by UPRR engineer

When i hired on it was alot simpler, there wasnt a place to apply online. A guy went to the local state job service an added there name to the interview list, talked to his neighbor to put a good work in for him. Went down to the depot and talked to the manager about your chances of getting on. If they didnt take you after that you pretty much knew they didnt want anything to do with you.

These days they leave you guys hanging after you apply online, hire before the deadline ends, you see the managers face for the first time during the interview. I helped my buddy get on, talked to the manager before hand, made him write his name down, told him to apply online right now, go down and talk to the guy who was gonna possibly take him. His part and my part took almost all the stress out trying to get on.

by thebigc

Way back when, it helped if you knew someone on the inside . Matter of fact, if you didn't know someone or have family your chances were slim on getting hired by the rr.

A couple of reasons nepotism and cronyism were used was that somebody could vouch for the guy getting hired and if the guy got hired and started screwing off, the rr knew who to go to to give him a tongue-lashing to put him back on the straight and narrow.

by GOLDEN-ARM

Every job I had, until I went to consulting, was given to me, after walking onto a property, and asking for a job. Conrail, Soo Line and even Union Pacific were done, with a conversation with a RoadForeman, or Superintendent. So was every job before, and in-between those carriers, as well. I never had to go to a "job service", and I only go online now, to reply to requests for my services. A really good way to find jobs, even today, is to ASK a railroader, who's hiring. I also look in the back of the railroad trade magazines (Railway Age, RT&S, Modern Railroads, etc) and the "Bible" for boomers, and homesteaders alike, "The Pocket List of Railroad Officials". I know one class-1 road, that will hire an experienced engineer, who has enough "gumption" to put pen to paper, and ask for a job. You will never see them advertise jobs, but they will always hire an engineer. I would feel sorry, for anyone who has to blow huge dough, on a "school", then be at the mercy of an email, that may not ever come.
Another benefit of "nepotism", is the folks from railroad families kind of already realize that their souls belong to the carrier, and the demanding hours and schedules don't come as a shock, to those related to the lifestyle. While it's not as easy as it used to be, to hire out, I still manage a few times a year, to find work, with a phone, and the "Bible" as my only tools. There is a lot more to railroading, than just working for a class-1. If the "big-boys" don't return your calls, or don't email you to join a session, find your local regional, class-2 or shortline, and ask them for a job. Some glory is better than none at all......... :-D

by jz441

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:I know one class-1 road, that will hire an experienced engineer, who has enough "gumption" to put pen to paper, and ask for a job. You will never see them advertise jobs, but they will always hire an engineer.
Which railroad is that?

by GOLDEN-ARM

Here comes your PM, jz441.............
I mentioned this, not to ellicit responses for positions with that carrier, but to show that, with a little effort, you can ferret out jobs, that don't get advertised. Lots of companies hire from a pool of resumes, on file, or through a "network" of contacts, who know where a job is, or where a qualified person is. On the last road I worked at, I got three people jobs, in less than 2 weeks, on other lines, just before I (and they) quit the job, on that road. (that road now needs trainmen/conductor trainees, as well as a couple of experienced engineers.) Wanna work in Alabama? The M&B might be hiring......... :wink:
There is work out there, but you need to work at finding it, and you don't always need a computer to do it. A phone, and fax will get you a job, easily. You should be willing to move, and willing to start at wages that might not seem like the greatest, at first. All good things come with time, and you should see the rewards, in a reasonable amount of time. Good Luck!!! :-D

by jz441

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:Here comes your PM, jz441.............
Thank you GOLDEN-ARM... :-D