• The NMRA needs to be reformed

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by jwb1323

"Get involved" is sort of a cliche -- or as bloggers say, a "meme", a thought pattern that people play over and over. I had a guy visting my layout yesterday, and we started taking (he started it) about the NMRA (our layouts are both going to be on a tour at the regional convention in Sept). He said all the LA Division officers live in wealthy parts of town -- most in Palos Verdes. I hadn't raised that in my posts, or even on my web site. The problem is, though, that these guys are such snobs that they won't LET anyone get involved unless they think he's rich. I know -- I've tried, and I've told the story on my web site.

If they won't let you get involved, you can't get involved. (They'll ask people who aren't even NMRA members to be on layout tours, of course, because they don't have enough layouts otherwise).

by thrdkilr

I don't know what I'm more tired of hearing about, Guy's in Iraq wearing womens panties (war is hell! or don't start one), or racism being at the bottom of everything. I was in the military for 22 years and since I couldn't have a layout for obvious reasons, I found talking about it the next best thing. The most knowledgable guy I ever met was a 22 year old black kid who was an E-4. My biggest problem was fraternization. When we talked trains, there were no barriers, just that wierd look we train nuts get in our eyes.
What I heard earlier fits me to a tee, I got interested in trains as a kid by looking at real trains. When I found out that I could by Athearn blueboxes for 50 cents, I was off to the races. College, carrer, sex, kids, space limitations, and money were the reasons I drifted away from trains through middle life. It was this kid who rekindled my interest later in life.
Like I said, it was the big trains that got me interested, the problem is that there are not anywhere near as many big trains as there used to be. It was the greatest recruiting tool and they have pulled up half the tracks. I don't think the hobby is in all that big a problem. Thanks to the Chinese, the hardwear is better and cheaper than ever and more accessible to all. The important thing to keep in mind is that model railroading was never as big as the hula hoop, and that it is not going anywhere anytime soon...Tribble on......