• The 470 Railroad Club (Equipment and Activities)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by Mikejf

Oh boy Otto, Lets no start that again. Next thing we know names will be changing to pick on the guilty.
  by Reader#108

I don't know why everyone is up in arms.......

I saw MEC 501 running today.......

granted, it was in Deerfield......it was blue......

and it was a GP40-2L......otherwise, it was MEC 501!

LMAO
  by Cosmo

Reader#108 wrote:I don't know why everyone is up in arms.......

I saw MEC 501 running today.......

granted, it was in Deerfield......it was blue......

and it was a GP40-2L......otherwise, it was MEC 501!

LMAO
Oh man, I don't care WHO you are, that's HILARIOUS!
  by steamer69

Like button Bill.....that was well played.....
  by steamer69

Jeff Smith wrote:But as an organization which has accepted donations for specific purposes, if you want to put the matter to rest, I suggest you respond, and that will put it all to rest.
12 days, 11 hours and 26minutes....and still waiting....

I'm begining to think that not only are the concerns mentioned valid, but the 470 are starting to make themselves look even worse.

Pleading the 5th.

"Pleading the fifth is a reference to the Fifth Amendment. Making such a plea means that you refuse to answer the question on the ground that your answer might incriminate you. If you choose to take the fifth upon questioning by an opposing party, just know that you will probably have to take the fifth for every question you are asked. Also know that just because you plead the fifth, it doesn't mean that you cannot be found guilty by some other means."

*****"Finally, if you plead the fifth in some non-criminal matter, that protection may be absolute. For example, in the State of Georgia, if you take the fifth on a question in a divorce case, the judge can assume the answer is "yes, I'm guilty of what you're asking me."*****

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 6031912820

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifth_Amen ... ution#Text

And for Cosmo....I agree with your assertion about all you have to do is prove reasonable doubt....but that reasonable doubt has to be based on evidentiary facts...
"the standard of proof is either proof by a preponderance of the evidence or proof by clear and convincing evidence."
"A preponderance of the evidence simply means that one side has more evidence in its favor than the other, even by the smallest degree."

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictiona ... able+Doubt
  by Cosmo

steamer69 wrote:
Jeff Smith wrote:But as an organization which has accepted donations for specific purposes, if you want to put the matter to rest, I suggest you respond, and that will put it all to rest.
12 days, 11 hours and 26minutes....and still waiting....

I'm begining to think that not only are the concerns mentioned valid, but the 470 are starting to make themselves look even worse.

Pleading the 5th.

"Pleading the fifth is a reference to the Fifth Amendment. Making such a plea means that you refuse to answer the question on the ground that your answer might incriminate you. If you choose to take the fifth upon questioning by an opposing party, just know that you will probably have to take the fifth for every question you are asked. Also know that just because you plead the fifth, it doesn't mean that you cannot be found guilty by some other means."

*****"Finally, if you plead the fifth in some non-criminal matter, that protection may be absolute. For example, in the State of Georgia, if you take the fifth on a question in a divorce case, the judge can assume the answer is "yes, I'm guilty of what you're asking me."*****

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 6031912820

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifth_Amen ... ution#Text

And for Cosmo....I agree with your assertion about all you have to do is prove reasonable doubt....but that reasonable doubt has to be based on evidentiary facts...
"the standard of proof is either proof by a preponderance of the evidence or proof by clear and convincing evidence."
"A preponderance of the evidence simply means that one side has more evidence in its favor than the other, even by the smallest degree."

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictiona ... able+Doubt
Well, let's remember a couple of things here...
first off, this is NOT a criminal court.
Second, you are NOT an officer, agent, or purveyor of the law. Nor are you a lawyer, prosecutor or judge.
Third, last I knew, there were NO formal charges pending against 470 in ANY court, criminal or otherwise.
Lastly, a supposition: Maybe the folks at 470 just don't care that much about you, Bret. They're likely ignoring you.
Face it, you're just not THAT important to them guy.
  by steamer69

Yet again Pete, you can't come out with anything resembling a fact so you try and make it about me.

I may not be that important to the 470, but the fact that they are acting inept should be. Ignoring me is one thing....not answereing a valid question to people who give them money is. It's not just me Pete....
Jeff Smith wrote:And I actually know where Brett is coming from about it.
Narrowgauger wrote:All this money to restore a dead f unit when active ones are around doesnt make any sence.
Narrowgauger wrote:You both make very valid points. 470 needs to answer some of them.
MEC407 wrote:And they're not helping themselves by being so quiet.
Trainlover479 wrote:We all agree that we must get a complete response from the 470.
Trainlover479 wrote:I will admit that they are lacking skill, but that does not excuse for a locomotive restoration taking almost 20 years.
Stag Hound wrote:....wish to see one project completed prior to another being started. Again, a pretty simple (yet often overlooked/ignored) principle for any organization, especially a non-profit.

So....I don't really care if I'm not important to the 470. No skin off of my back. I'm not the one leaving other people who are just looking for a simple answer hanging. I'm not the one who can't find time to answer the questions of potential donars. The only person who insesantly tries to make this all about me, dodging a simple question is you. Last time I checked I am not Jeff Smith, MEC407, Trainlover479, Stag Hound and others that are looking for a response. It is also not my fault that the 470 has gotten so disfunctional that they can not even monitor the most used and popular forum discussing their lack of work. Sorry Pete....yet again your arguement is shooting blanks. Your right Pete.....it's all about me and my hundreds of personalities.
  by merrman

Again Bret, you miss the point. The 470 does not have to answer to you, Cosmo, Jeff Smith, or anyne else who posts on this forum. If you
or any of these people are members or have made restricted donations, then you have the right to question how the money is spent. But to
do so, you need to appear at a 470 meeting, board meeting, or send a formal inquiry to the club. They are not obligated to answer what is, in effect, anonymous allegations posted to an open forum. I am disappointed that the management of this list has not put a stop to these posts based on the fact that this is not the appropriate place.

If any of you are members, or have made donations, contact a board member or go to a meeting and speak up. Don't hide behind your
keyboard and whine. You'll probably get more info that way.
  by Cosmo

merrman wrote:Again Bret, you miss the point. The 470 does not have to answer to you, Cosmo, Jeff Smith, or anyne else who posts on this forum. If you
or any of these people are members or have made restricted donations, then you have the right to question how the money is spent. But to
do so, you need to appear at a 470 meeting, board meeting, or send a formal inquiry to the club. They are not obligated to answer what is, in effect, anonymous allegations posted to an open forum. I am disappointed that the management of this list has not put a stop to these posts based on the fact that this is not the appropriate place.

If any of you are members, or have made donations, contact a board member or go to a meeting and speak up. Don't hide behind your
keyboard and whine. You'll probably get more info that way.
INSTANT LIKE BUTTON!!!!!! :razz:
  by Jeff Smith

And Merrman is right. They're a private association. If you're not a member, and you have no skin in the game, they can go about their merry me.

Like I've said, I have no horse in this race or no skin in the game. I posted when their next meeting is, and how to join, which is not to construe any endorsement of any action.

My opinions here are just those: opinions. And you know what they say about opinions; they're like a$$holes, every one has one.

And no, I'm not calling anyone that, and I'm not taking any sides in this argument. That's the benefit of being a moderator; I can see both sides.

However, since 470 is not likely to answer, I suggest we move on.

And thank you Brett for acknowleding our pre-eminence! :-D
  by steamer69

Jeff Smith wrote:However, since 470 is not likely to answer, I suggest we move on.
Aint that the truth. Get more answers out of a rock.....
Jeff Smith wrote:And thank you Brett for acknowleding our pre-eminence!
No worries....gotten good at digging up all of these little facts.

Merrman- This was a legitimate forum for asking the question, board members are on here (one was reading this thread just this morning) and if they can't even answer a question here....why should I drive the 300 miles to a meeting for the same outcome? The silence of the 470 club has proven my point more than I ever could. So don't be mad at me because they can't get it together for long enough to answer 1 question....

My point is proven....moving on.
  by merrman

You are right, there is one board member here on a regular basis. ONE. Just becuause he reads and posts
on this forum, doesn't mean he is obligated, or even authorized, to answer questions of non-members (or
thse members on here known only by a screen name) on behalf of the rest of the board. If 470 wants to
make a public statement here, I am sure he would post it if so authorized. But they are not obligated to
answer on this forum. I agree with Jeff. Let's move on.
  by steamer69

merrman wrote:I am sure he would post it if so authorized.
Board is dissfunctional and members of the board can't answer questions......check....I believe I have said that....moving on.
  by Narrowgauger

merrman wrote:You are right, there is one board member here on a regular basis. ONE. Just becuause he reads and posts
on this forum, doesn't mean he is obligated, or even authorized, to answer questions of non-members (or
thse members on here known only by a screen name) on behalf of the rest of the board. If 470 wants to
make a public statement here, I am sure he would post it if so authorized. But they are not obligated to
answer on this forum. I agree with Jeff. Let's move on.
UMMMMM sorry about this but I have to disagree. You see I am one of the 3 winners in last weeks powerball drawing and found my self with 218 million to use up. I would of loved to donate a few million to the 470 but seeing how they dont feel the need to address any questions that people who may be future donators vollenteers or members.......well then me and my millions will look elsewhere...... Think you get my point? I would think the 470 would stand right up and answer potential members and or donators. WORD OF MOUTH IS THE BEST ADVERTIZEMENT.!!!
  by steamer69

HOOOYAH!!!!!! (Cosmo that means "INSTANT LIKE BUTTON!!!!!! :-) )

As I said. The issues START with 501, but are not limited to 501 and do not end with 501.
Narrowgauger wrote:well then me and my millions will look elsewhere.....

Another happy customer finally sees my point through the smoke and mirrors that some people have been putting up.