• Switchers on the Keystone Corridor

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by atsf sp

I was travelling along the highway 283 parralleling the Keystone Corridor headed to Lancaster from the West and I was watching the tracks and I saw two switchers on a siding that looked like GE 44tons. They looked like they hadn't been used in a while. But they were near what I believe was a government facility and it looked like a scrap yard for old equipment. Does anyone know what these actually are, who they belong to, and there numbers?
  by gp80mac

Only ones I can think of are the two centercabs (80-tonners, I think) for a propane gas place near Mt. Joy. At least one is operational as they shuffle the cars around. They also have a rail crane missing its boom.
  by atsf sp

thats them. do they have numbers?
  by chuchubob

One of them was working last Friday when I went past on train 641.
  by atsf sp

I went by there yesterday on the pennsylvanian. I did not see the red switcher. The orange one is numbered 104. The crane was still there though.
  by GP30 5513

I have been back there once, photographing those two center cabs along with the crane (not sure if it operates) and one or two truck-less low rise gondolas resting on the ground. Since those files were on my now dead hard drive, I don't have much left, but I'll see what I can dig up.

Well, looks like only one shot made it, so here ya go. My notes say I took that shot on April 24th, 2009.

I suppose I'll have to make use of the week I have off between Christmas & New Years to get -updated- shots of them, if they still allow non-employees back there with a camera.
  by GP30 5513

joshuahouse wrote:What do they use the crane for?
I don't know if the crane is active or not, but the boom is sitting on the ground in pieces.