• Surviving Atchison Topeka Santa Fe Warbonets

• Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM
Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM

Moderator: Komachi

by git a holt to it

BNSF 645 departed west out of belen @ 1906 v-mciphx8-01a 4892 still trailin.

by git a holt to it

I found 3 locos on the system that still show as ATSF. 1) ATSF 2055 GP-7 built 07/01/1953-offline since 01/1999. 2) ATSF 2125 same stats as the 2055 3) ATSF 2159 same stats. All dead in Barstow Il. according to TSS.

by Engineer James

Also, we must not forget all the stored units in North Yard.

With the Blue ATSF Freight Warbonnet.

by Tommy Meehan

A couple weeks ago (while on vacation in Dallas) I journeyed up to Ardmore Oklahoma to ride south on the Heartland Flyer. In the small yard there that morning were four locomotives, all of which were in Santa Fe's yellow-and-blue freight warbonnet scheme with the big "Santa Fe" on the hood. It really made my day.

Three units were on a southbound road freight (stopped to work the yard) with GP50 3185 in the lead, then two GP38s, the 22xx (sorry!) and 2196. After they departed a crew boarded GP38 2236 and began drilling the yard.

A lifelong NYer, I had spent 18 months in Oklahoma in the early 1970s while in the Army at Ft.Sill. I saw Frisco just about every single day but was never able to visit ATSF. Without a car it was just too far. I always felt bad about never seeing the road so to find four working units ALL in yellow warbonnet, and in a little Oklahoma town like Ardmore, was terrific.

I saw quite a few red-and-silver warbonnets too, on road freights. Will check my notes, see if I wrote down any unit numbers or locations.

by DrawbarFlats

Granted they have ''BNSF'' front and side but some of the 700's are holding up well.

So long Santa Fe! Thanks for the memories!

by DrawbarFlats

While working a Hobart yard job in LA on a GP30, I took note of a few more loco's still sporting the ''Warbonnet'' at Commerce Diesel Facility. (granted the 700's and 4000's are BNSF Stenciled). They are-

BNSF-
and the 4707. All were in good to GREAT condition! The 691 still looks good, not ''pink''-----------------yet.

Will take some more ''notes'' at work in the AM.
  by DrawbarFlats

U-Haul wrote:How many of the famous ATSF Red (now. most pinkish) Warbonnets are left? There are about a dozen GP60Ms, a dozen or more of the -8s in four and six axle versions plus some -9s There is sprinkling of SD75Is, but all GP60Bs have been repainted. C44-9Ws 607,665, 666, the 680's except for 681 and 684, and 699 are confirmed to be still in Warbonnet. C40-8Ws 841 888 are also confirmed. GP60Ms 104, 111, 150 and B40-8Ws 528, 568 are also confirmed.
The 666 was renumbered to (I believe) the 599 for obvious reasons.

by Engineer James

I wish the ATSF had not picked a paint that would fade. But, thanks to the ATSF, they ruled the West. :-D

by U-Haul

Seems to have been a religious decsion to renumber ATSF 666. I think some people at BNSF have Hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia (Fear of the number 666.)

by DrawbarFlats

U-Haul wrote:Seems to have been a religious decsion to renumber ATSF 666. I think some people at BNSF have Hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia (Fear of the number 666.)
The main reason for the re-numbering was to discourage the graffiti that always seemed to adorn the interior of this particular locomotives cab.

Slogans such as ''Beast Train'', Devil Train'', Train to Hell, etc.. did get a bit old after awhile.

But yes, I do agree that anyone who would go to the point of putting a religious significance with a locomotive number of all things does need to find a better hobby.

by Engineer James

Wow, I from what I gather crews were doing that??? :-D That's kinda funny.... *LOL*

Could they repaint alot of those PINK Warbonnets? or are they trying to Help Support Breast Cancer?? *No pun intended....

As Long as they do not paint them in the new BNSF scheme they are fine.....

by DrawbarFlats

Engineer James wrote:Wow, I from what I gather crews were doing that??? :-D That's kinda funny.... *LOL*

Could they repaint alot of those PINK Warbonnets? or are they trying to Help Support Breast Cancer?? *No pun intended....

As Long as they do not paint them in the new BNSF scheme they are fine.....

Yea, for awhile there, it was out of control. LOL

I'm with ya on the re-painting. I would rather see a ''pink'' Warbonnet than a ''Pumpkin'' or the new ''Speedo Wedgie'' scheme.

If only I took the time to take more pictures when I first hired on.

It was quite something to be on a ''shooter'' powered by an A-B-B-A set of GP60M's at 70 mph and listen to those EMD's scream at notch 8 while bouncing around in the cab and spilling coffee everywhere. They were the roughest rides on the fleet next to the 500's but I loved every minute of it.

by Engineer James

Really? I always wondered about the Gp60's. Did they always travel with their "B" unit?

by DrawbarFlats

Engineer James wrote:Really? I always wondered about the Gp60's. Did they always travel with their "B" unit?
In the early nineties is was quite common for A-B-B-A sets to be on the point of UPS and other high priority trains.

This practice did not last long account Cajon Pass. These units operating in solid consists did not perform well climbing mountain grade territory largely in part of gear ratio's and adhesion/4 axle instead of six axle.

After about 1995 solid consists of GP60's were a rare sight although one would occasionally see A-B or other configurations mixed in with other sets of motive power.

by Engineer James

Thanks Drawbar. How many still roaming the system?