• SU-99 derailment 5/30/06

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

by ANDY117

Accoriding to the NYSW list, SU-99 derailed in PAterson, NJ a little while ago. Cars on their sides. Not a good day to be a railroad between this and CSX...

Edit:

Apparently it is near Governor stret, and a building has been hit.

by NYSW13000

The train derailed at 9:15 pm; 5 cars down.

by n01jd1

Good news of 1015 no injuries reported.

by Steve F45

im surprised the media isn't bringing up the previous 2 stories with the fuel spill and truck vs. train.

Glad to hear nobody was hurt but man what a bad day in the area for rail traffic.

by Charlie7

2005Vdub wrote:im surprised the media isn't bringing up the previous 2 stories with the fuel spill and truck vs. train.

Glad to hear nobody was hurt but man what a bad day in the area for rail traffic.
It didn't take long: check out the Bergen Record "Invstigation Begins in Derailment" May 31
http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qst ... VlRUV5eTI=

along with: "Railcars Worry Towns" May 31
http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qst ... VlRUV5eTM=

by FireChaserE3

Does anyone have any pictures from this derailment???

by washingtonsecondary

Here it comes...
Nonetheless, residents and elected officials said the accident shows the danger of moving millions of tons of waste through a densely-populated area without local oversight. Last year, New York, Susquehanna and Western Railway opened a waste transfer station just blocks from the scene of the accident, prompting strong opposition from residents and the city. Also last year, the state fined the railway $2.5 million for environmental violations at its transfer sites in the Meadowlands area.
And am I reading this right? This fool wants to shut down a privatly owned business to convert it to light commuter rail?
Torres and U.S. Rep. Bill Pascrell Jr. (D-Paterson), who was also on the scene Wednesday morning, have pushed to convert the freight rail line to a commuter light rail.

"We're really hoping that the light rail will be an alternative use of the freight rail so this kind of thing will stop from happening," Torres said.

by Steve F45

right!!! close the nysw and turn the tracks into light rail, ok terrific. People say the dumbest things in front of camera's and reporters.

by RichM

You can never win betting against any politician of any party for pandering and stupidity. I'm still waiting on Chuck Schummer's investigation of the Amtrak electrical problems, maybe they can tack this crisis onto that one. Or Saxon's confusing a nail gun with gunfire... anyway, a new car wash will rise from the ashes, and in a month, it will all be forgotten...

by Penn Central

Earlie in the week, there was a fire in a construction debris car in Ridgefield. I wonder if it was in the consist?

by BlockLine_4111

Questions:

Was the broken rail a 'ribbon' or a 'stick' and from what year and weight?

Did the fracture occur at a weld, joint, or regular section?

If NYS&W had signals on this section perhaps the break would have defaulted to RED?

I am surprise those shabby pre-WW2 100 lb. sticks lasted for so long up in Pompton Lakes under the stress of six axle locos, doublestacks, and autoracks. :wink:

by Steve F45

funny you mention this. i was going to post somthing similar.

While in hawthorn today i noticed at one of the many joints the plates that bolt the rails together. One is cracked completely in half between bolts. It got me thinking great, if this goes then there will be another possible derailment.

Also why is the rail from i think smoke rise northward welded rail? why not the whole system south?

by BlockLine_4111

2005Vdub wrote:While in hawthorn today i noticed at one of the many joints the plates that bolt the rails together. One is cracked completely in half between bolts. It got me thinking great, if this goes then there will be another possible derailment.
Depends on a few factors, IMO. If the crack is directly between the joined sections (i.e. right in the middle), and the splice bar is not spiked or secured well to the ties, and there is a large degree of flexation or deflection there it could be a disaster if some of them six axle monsters slapps it at a good pace.
2005Vdub wrote:Also why is the rail from i think smoke rise northward welded rail? why not the whole system south?
Because the rail from Smoke Rise (or there about) northward was < 100lb. (80-90 lb. IIRC) while the rail in opposite direction was 100lb. or greater. IIRC 112 lb. east of Paterson.

by Steve F45

the crack is between if going from left to right the first and second bolt holding the plates together.

as for the rail, the rail further north looks alot larger in size compared to whats down here in bergen cty area.