• strength test/ medical exam

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by SanAntoniostang

Im scheduled to take both these test next week for UP and was wondering if anyone can give me any information on them. Ive never had a physical for a job before so I have no clue what to expect. Thanks for any insight anyone can provide I've been going to the gym pretty regularly, but Im not super man so does anyone know what the strength test will cover.

by themallard

From what I've heard you're required to be able to lift 100 pounds.

by cifn2

taken right off UP's job descriptions for Train Service....

"Must be able to exert muscular strength sufficient to push/pull and lift/carry weights of up to 25 lbs. (frequently) and 50 lbs. (occasionally), and to assist in the infrequent movement of weights up to 83 lbs.; must possess enough strength, coordination and balance to be able to step on and off moving equipment at speeds of 3 mph or less; be able to walk frequently on ballast across uneven terrain for short distances, and infrequently for distances up to 1 mile; remain seated or standing for over half a workshift (with the opportunity to change position for comfort); climb stairs and ladders occasionally; perform activities that infrequently require bending or stooping; and hold on to a ladder while occasionally riding a slowly moving train."

on that note, the job I applied for was supposed to end on the 31st of March. I noticed they had posted another job for something else showing up as New... and the job I applied for is off there. WOW. Maybe I will get a call monday or tuesday. Maybe not then.

by DutchRailnut

The Physical agility test is pretty much same on all railroads it most of time is a weight of 30 Lbs you must lift/push carry etc. incloding going up a step ladder with it.

The Physical is a general physical cosisting off: Bloodpressure, cardiogram, eye test, ear test, hernia test, pee pee test, they will usually check part of your urine sample for sugar.

by SanAntoniostang

Why would they check your urine for sugar? To see if your a diabetic if thats the case why not just do a blood test.

by cifn2

to see if you are consuming alot of sugar so much your body is wasting it or would it be to check for sugar from alcohol?