• Stoughton/South Coast Rail Project Revisited

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by axle98

OK it's been almost six months since my original post asking all of you your thoughts on freight moving through the Stoughton/New Bedford line if/when the rail lines are reopened. I'll begin by restating that I am a proponent of the project because I think that it will happen regardless of the costs involved (and because Gov. Patrick and CSX appear to want it to happen very badly). My October post generated an overwhelming majority of opinions that there will never be a need to use this line for freight
-"As noted by several other posters in this forum, the prospect of increased freight traffic on this route is virtually nil, and the MBTA is only interested in providing passenger service."

Also from the Mass Transportation blog (last November):
In addition, CSXT has reached initial agreement with the Massachusetts Coastal Railroad, Mass Coastal, to take over freight rail activities on the former CSXT South Coast Lines being purchased by the Commonwealth, an important step in the process of bringing passenger rail service to the South Coast and enhancing local freight rail service to the region.
(not sure if the "region" would include the new route)

To my knowledge, CSX is not admitting to changing freight movements should the route be reopened. Has anyone changed their opinions since last October or are we still steadfastly in agreement that it will strictly be a passenger route?
thanks for your input.
  by GP40MC1118

It's be a cold day in hell if regular freight service was restored via Weir Jct/Stoughton on the new NB/FR commuter line. Rayham, Easton and Stoughton will fight
this tooth and nail, especially the swamp-huggers. About the only non-passenger train moves you'd see would be work trains and a detour due to a major outage
elsewhere.

Dave