• Stored autotacks by State Fairgrounds

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Schooltrain

For probably the last three weeks there has been a long, long train of car carriers parked on a siding by the State Fairgrounds near Syracuse. Every time I have driven on NY 695 and crossed above the CSX tracks, I have seen this train and wondered why it was parked there. Does anyone have any info?

by BR&P

My guess is the auto carriers are stored temporarily until we all go buy new cars, LOL.

And yes, there are people who remember the Red Line, West Local, Lyndonville, Crocketts, and the Hamlin backup.

HOJACK!

by nessman

BR&P wrote:And yes, there are people who remember the Red Line, West Local, Lyndonville, Crocketts, and the Hamlin backup.

HOJACK!
Hamlin backup?? Do tell!

by O-6-O

Autoracks are indeed stored on sidings all along the main line. The controlled siding in Oneida(cp-263 to cp-266) hasthem often. I've also
seen them in St.Johsville. This is not unusual.

STEAM ON

by FarmallBob

The controlled siding in Chili (CP 380 - CP382) is also filled with empty auto racks.

Now get out there and buy a car! ...FB

by sd80mac

It's either 2 reasons - if you see that they are empty... that means slow season, which is ususally during spring season.

And if it's loaded, then the auto terminals are backlogged that they cant keep up with the order. It happened to us when I was working for auto terminal and we were really buried and we had to park new cars outside of auto terminal security fence. we can unload vehicles off about 79 railcars a day. and these Multi-level trains comes in with more than 100 railcars each day during busy seasons. once a while, we would have 2-3 rows of empty ML swapped out with loaded ML during the day, making it 20-30 extra railcars to empty vehicles.

ken

by MP366

Option 3: The railroad that is supposed to receive them won't take them...this happened during the post CR split meltdown. CSX had trainloads of autoracks stored all over creation that NS was supposed to get, but that they ping ponged back to CSX. This is probably not the case now...but if the cars were destined to UP in California, it could be an option....

by videobruce

The cars are probably off of Q268. They are loads for Jersey. The carrier gets $1. per vehicle, per day storage fee (I believe). More are stored at Fonda. They might be for export, but I'm not sure.