• Storage tracks on the E&N

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Ken V

by 2spot

Does anyone know of any? Or what they're worth,rent or lease. Prefer Victoria area but not past Nanaimo.

by ENR3870

There's the yard trackage in Victoria, the Esquimalt Siding behind Admirals Walk shopping centre, there's the Langford siding and a spur north of the Jacklin Road crossing. There's also the siding at the top of the Malahat, Cobble Hill Siding, Chemainus Siding, remains of the wye south of Cassidy, and the siding at Cassidy.

For storage rates you'd want to contact the E&N at 1-250-754-9222. Or email the Marketting & Sales/General Manager at [email protected].

by 2spot

Thank you, ENR3870. Exactly the information I was looking for.

by ENR3870

You are most welcome 2spot. Planning on storing some equipment? BTW, I forgot one. There's also the Somenos siding just north of the Lake Cowichan Highway crossing. The ENR stores watercars there in the Summer.

by 2spot

I might be storing something. I wont say what it is just yet, but I'll post as soon as I know if I got it. Is the Victoria yard fairly secure? Any problem with vandals there that you're aware of?

by 2spot

I take back the question about vandalism at the Victoria yard. Took a drive past there today and couldnt believe the amount of grafitti on the RDCs and the 50' boxcar belonging to the historical society. Something should be done to prevent that in future. Maybe CP could allow access to the part of the enginehouse that isnt rotted out. OR. Maybe its time CP sold or donated the thing.

by ENR3870

Best place to store the equipment where it wouldn't be attacked by taggers would be the Malahat siding. I'm with the E&N Division of the Canadian Railroad Historical Association who owns the boxcar and caboose, and we're planning a work group some time next month to clean up the yard.

by 2spot

I'm not sure what arrangement you have for the use of the tracks, or if RA or CP owns there, but would it be possible to fence off your space? Just a suggestion. A tall fence (if not a nearby roundhouse) would minimize the threat.

by ENR3870

2spot wrote:I'm not sure what arrangement you have for the use of the tracks, or if RA or CP owns there, but would it be possible to fence off your space? Just a suggestion. A tall fence (if not a nearby roundhouse) would minimize the threat.
CP owns the track, RailAmerica leases it. CPR and RailAmerica want the tracks kept clear in case they have to move the equipment around. There are some shots in the Vancouver Island Railfan.net forum of the RailAmerica Geeps moving the boxcar and caboose around the yard. A lot of the problems come from the homeless people living under the loading dock.

by 2spot

Unfortunate when you have to put up with lousy neighbors like that. I thought I read somewhere that CP had to pay $100,000 for upkeep on the roundhouse. It would've been cheaper to donate it to the historical association. Is there any chance of getting it now? Also; is RA trying to sell the E&N again, and if so to whom?

by ENR3870

2spot wrote:Unfortunate when you have to put up with lousy neighbors like that. I thought I read somewhere that CP had to pay $100,000 for upkeep on the roundhouse. It would've been cheaper to donate it to the historical association. Is there any chance of getting it now? Also; is RA trying to sell the E&N again, and if so to whom?
RailAmerica is in talks with the Island Corridor Foundation to sell them their portion of the E&N. Unfortunately, those involved are being very quiet about what's going on, that's about all I can tell you.

by 2spot

Thanks, ENR3870. Thats actually news to me. I read in WCRA railway news( feb05 ) that the E&N is for sale again, which is what prompted the question. Could you speculate on how it might change if ICF buys it?

by ENR3870

ICF won't be running the E&N. Under the ICF however, the operator would be able to go after freight traffic that RA couldn't under CP's restrictions. At least two operators were rumored to be looking at the E&N under the ICF, Washington Corp. and RailAmerica.

by 2spot

Does this mean that ICF (not CP) has to repair the roundhouse, or is CP legally bound? Is CP out enough that the Alberni Pulp Mill might ship by rail? Should we celebrate this event at all?

by ENR3870

I'm not sure, those involved are being VERY quiet about what's going on.