• Stone arch bridge in Mechanic Falls, ME

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

by Rich Bryant

Photo test.... Can only upload 2 on this post. Now this is the MEC bridge pier or piling in the middle of the Little Androscoggin. The finished end (V-stones) on the left side of structure must be rubble down at the river bottom. Is fairly centered and must be maybe 20' above water level for this time of year.

Again the granite block construction is prevalent. Also the footings and build up is present on both river banks but photo had way too much glare (was standing on it aiming down?) to post. Still have thumb showing on a few photos and have to crop all of them for here.
  by Rich Bryant

Quick thought here, pier may only be pointed on that one end headed up river to break up ice jams. The left side was just too finished off looking to have lost that end if were identical for cosmetics or back being the case.
  by Mikejf

Yes, that is pointed by design. Lots of the piers are. It also helps direct water around the pier, making less resistance.
  by Rich Bryant

Thanks again Mike. Never noticed that before but never looked either. Have just taken an interest in the history around so near and gives me a good excuse to cycle over there.
  by hgoss

The Maine Central Railroad passenger station, freight shed and land were sold in 1952 to a Mechanic Falls Hardware store owner. He developed what he named Depot Square.

He built the present Future Foods building, the post office, and a smaller building housing a restaurant. He sold all after his retirement in 1978.

The Future Foods building originally housed Goss Hardware and First National store. The freight shed at the rear that abutted the building was used as a warehouse for the store.

A dress shop was opened in the passenger station called "The Toot and Whistle Shop". The restaurant was called "Snackville junction".
  by hgoss

The water tank on Route 26 is located on what was called the Morey Farm in the 50's, now Harvest Hill Farm. It supplied water for the farm. Water was pumped from a reservoir across the road. There was a windmill which pumped the water to the tank.
  by Rich Bryant

Great info, fills in many blanks as to "wonder what this was like or for back when". Was over at the stone arch bridge yesterday, got stuck in the mud LoL. Have a bunch of photos but have to crop for site. Taken from underneath and the one photo shows how narrow the bridge actually is. Top is the North St. bridge in background.
  by hgoss

Great photos of the bridge. Have been under with a canoe perhaps 40 years ago, when living in Mechanic Falls.
Can on only imagine the work required to set the stones. A lot of aches and pains resulted I bet.
  by hgoss

My mother who was 98 years old when she passed used to talk of a train wreck at Mechanic Falls years ago when she was a child. She was raised on Bailey Hill, Poland.
According to her recollection, the Maine Central track crossed the Grand Trunk at Mechanic Falls just before Maple Street. As I have understood, there was a problem at Mechanic Falls with the train which had stopped across the intersecting tracks.
An attempt to get word to the Poland station master came too late. It had already gone by the Poland station and crashed through the Grand Trunk train.
I have tried to locate an account, but have not succeeded yet from history books.
Can anyone shed some light on this?
  by ferroequinarchaeologist

hgoss,

Go to dotlibrary.specialcollection.net/Contents
Scroll down to Investigations of Railroad Accidents 1911-1993

PBM
  by Rich Bryant

3 more photos of the arch bridge headed towards West Minot. Railings are very sturdy and again can see it's just wide enough for 1 set of tracks. A house is in the way down further.
  by Rich Bryant

3 more of arched bridge, work of art. Top photo is viewing upstream Bog Brook. Took a bunch of photos of the tracks over the road and river yesterday, the old Grand Trunk ROW, from on top.
  by Rich Bryant

Time to move on, 3 more pictures of the bridge but getting ubiquitous (as in too many, looking the same). Will show next batch(s) to include right of ways, dams and the overhead GT railway (now St. Lawrence and Atlantic).