• Steam and Diesels in NY City

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Luigi

Thanks for the answers about NYC in Long Island. My dream was to see the Central in all New York City (and indutrial NJ too, Paterson for example). Unfortunately, this relationship between the Central and NY City never was total. PRR and NYNH&H in Long Island (in the Queens and Brooklyn) song ever very strange to me.
Well, this time I would like to know, please:
a) If (and where) the diesel locomotives of the Central passed in the Bronx and Manhattan (maybe west side yards and docks?)
b) If and where, after eletrification, steam locomotives worked in the same boroughs
c) Where (depot, station, yards) the passenger trains that leaved Grand Central Terminal changed from eletric power to diesel or steam locomotives
d) Did Int Hobby Corp invent the GG1 with NYC colours, or this was sometime real?
e) Which was the more important shop and deposit yard of the Central in NYC? (as the Sunnyside was for PRR and NH)
Thanks very much
LUIGI BIONDI

by BaltOhio

Luigi-

I will try to answer your questions, but other members may want to add or correct me:

(a) The NYC operated diesels on all its lines in Manhattan and the Bronx except into Grand Central Terminal. Beginning in 1930, it operated a fleet of about 40 "three-power" locomotives on these lines. These operated diesel-electric, straight electric, and on batteries, and handled freight and switching on Manhattan and in the Bronx. They were used until about 1954.

(b) Steam power was used only in the Bronx after 1930. There was a small steam engine terminal at High Bridge in the Bronx for Putnam Division trains. The Putnam Division terminated at Sedgwick Ave. station in the Bronx -- its passenger trains did not operate into Grand Central. In early years (before 1930) the NYC operated Shay locomotives in street tracks on the West Side of Manhattan.

(c) Steam-electric and diesel-electric locomotive exchanges were made on the Hudson Division at Harmon (Croton), 33 miles from Grand Central, and on the Harlem Division at North White Plains, 24 miles north of Grand Central.

(d) NYC never had an electric locomotive resembling the PRR's GG-1.

(e) NYC's main coach yard was in the Mott Haven section of the Bronx, at about 149th St. It was located between the lines of the Hudson Division and Harlem Division, which joined just south of the yard. There was a small coach yard for Putnam Division trains at High Bridge.

I hope this helps a little.

by Railjunkie

Luigi,

Diesel powered freight could be found along the main running to the 33rd St yard or Westchester Ave along with switchers working the Bronx Terminal Market.

Steam was still used to move freight after third rail was installed from Grand Central to Croton. Electric motors were used to get trains into and out of GCT, due to the tunnels and a law that was passed by New York City for polution control

Power was changed from electric to diesel/steam for all passenger trains going to points west(ie Albany Buffalo Chicago) and from diesel/steam for all passenger trains going east(GCT).

The GG1 was a PRR locomotive that ran on overhead wire (AC) the NYC had third rail (DC). The NYC never used this locomotive, it was later used by the Penn Central and Amtrak.

Mott Haven was the coach yard for NYC trains in New York

Hopes this helps there are many others on this forum that can give more detailed information on the operations in and around New York City...

by Otto Vondrak

The closest major shop facility was Harmon Shops... Mott Haven was only a storage yard, I dont think they did any heavy repairs there (correct me if I am wrong).

The New York Central had absolutley nothing to do with Long Island or the Pennsylvania Railroad operations in New York City. Maps that list "N.Y.C.R.R." on Long Island are referring to the New York Connecting Railroad which was the joint New Haven-PRR project to build the line over Hell Gate.

-otto-

by Lokisgodhi

"(b) Steam power was used only in the Bronx after 1930. There was a small steam engine terminal at High Bridge in the Bronx for Putnam Division trains. The Putnam Division terminated at Sedgwick Ave. station in the Bronx -- its passenger trains did not operate into Grand Central. In early years (before 1930) the NYC operated Shay locomotives in street tracks on the West Side of Manhattan. "

The NYC also used 0-6-0s as well as the shays. Being BLW products the Central wisely shrouded them to hide their shame at being built at Eddystone instead of Schenectady. Pictures can be found on page 81 of 'New York Central's Early Power 1831-1915 by Staufer.

Eric