• Status of the GP7s and GP9s

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by Mcoov

I wasn't aware that 52 was among the zombies! I thought it was only 71, 72, and 77.
  by mec 381

ST 51, 52, 71, 72, & 77 are still running. ST 45, 54, 62 are out of service and providing parts to keep the other five running.
  by b&m 1566

What number was 77 originally?
  by KSmitty

b&m 1566 wrote:What number was 77 originally?
According to Bill Gingrich's roster-
ST 77 was renumbered from BM 1838 summer of 1989. Of course before the rebuild it would have had its delivery number of 1738.

Just wondering does PAR rate a GP9 and a GP9r for the same tonnage?
  by Tim Mullins

yes they do smitty....i still have my copy of the tonnage readings for all the power.
  by ElburnAl

FWIW

ST 51 rolled into E. Deerfield this morning (4-16-11) around 11:00. Third unit of a three unit consist.
  by b&m 1566

The five units remaining, are they all GP9's? Also is Pan Am still looking to retire the remaining five soon, or are they staying around for the foreseeable future?
  by KSmitty

"The five remaining units"?

I think the answer to that is "yes" all locomotives on the roster with numbers lower than 100 are GP9's or GP9r's. 45, 51, 52, 54, 62, 71, 72, 77.
4 are as built GP9's and 4 are rebuilt GP9r's.

For now, they seem safe, though as they die, it is doubtful they will be repaired. If a new infusion of power arrives (if they decide a to get few more SD40's) then they would be in danger, but for now, as long as they don't suffer a failure...
  by Mcoov

Would they ever be painted?
  by Tim Mullins

it would be nice if we had a group photo of them before they end up in the back of a gondola!
  by b&m 1566

KSmitty wrote:"The five remaining units"?
Aren't only five in service? It was mentioned that three of the eight have become part sources.
When was the last GP7 retired?
  by BR4

The last 2 GP-7's, #12 & 15, werte retired early this year, and were scrapped in late March or early
April.

Heard recently, but not confirmed, that all 5 of the remaining units are headed for ED, ostensibly
to work the hump; but in reality probably to finish them off for good.
  by necr3849

At least in Deerfield, they're further away from the scrapper. They worked years off on the old North Adams locals. Perhaps they'll wonder from the yard once in a while.
  by b&m 1566

Haven't enegines been scrapped at ED before?