Moderator: David

by myfavscr

In case anyone might have missed it.

Area ports are putting more cargo on trains
Truck alternative called environmental plus
Tuesday, January 23, 2007
BY JOE MALINCONICO
Star-Ledger Staff
Anyone sandwiched between two trucks in bumper-to-bumper traffic on northern New Jersey highways might find this hard to believe.

But a growing number of cargo containers from Port Newark and Port Elizabeth are heading out from the docks on trains instead of on trucks, according to statistics released yesterday.

Under the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey's ExpressRail program, freight trains handled 338,882 cargo containers from the ports last year, a 11.8 percent increase.

Port Authority officials estimate that about 13 percent of all cargo from ports is now being shipped by rail, compared to 9.4 percent in 1999. A shift of a few percentage points might not seem like much, but at a port that handles almost 3 million cargo containers a year, that increase represents hundreds of trucks a day.

"This has clearly been a solution that makes the port more efficient, alleviates congestion and helps the environment," said Port Authority chairman Anthony Coscia.

The agency has invested $600 million to improve rail links to the ports, including several projects scheduled to begin operation this year, and it hopes trains will handle as many as 1.5 million cargo boxes by 2011.

It's not often that a government program gets support from environmental activists as well as from business leaders. But ExpressRail seems to do that.

"It's good for the health of the port as well as for the health of the families who live around there," said Jeff Tittel, executive director of the Sierra Club of New Jersey. "The counties around the port have some of the worst air quality in the state. A lot of it comes from the trucks."

"I can't see a downside to it," said Paul Lioy of the Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences Institute, a joint program of Rutgers University and the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey. "The more trucks you have, the more emissions you have. They idle a lot. This seems to be a good approach to deal with some of the problems down there."

Basically, the Port Authority's ExpressRail is composed of three main projects.

In 2006, the agency expanded the rail program at the docks in Elizabeth so the terminal could handle up to 400,000 containers a year. In the next two months, officials expect to complete an expansion that would double the capacity of the Port Newark rail terminal to 100,000 cargo boxes a year. Finally, a new rail terminal at the docks in Staten Island that would handle up to 100,000 containers per year is scheduled to begin service this spring.

So far, trucking companies have not complained about the rail system, even though it may be taking away some of their business.

"Right now, there's enough work down there for everybody," said Sam Cunninghame, head of government relations for Bi-State Motor Carriers, the group that represents port trucking companies.

Port executives see the ExpressRail program as essential to their economic survival, especially as terminals in South Atlantic states improve their rail capacity.

For the most part, cargo destined for businesses a few hundred miles from the ports still goes by truck, officials said. But rail connections are essential in winning the competition for cargo that's heading out to the Midwest, officials said.

"There's been tremendous growth at the ports and we're trying to keep its momentum going," Coscia said.

[/b]

by blockline4180

For once a more POSITIVE article on the benefits of intermodel trains...I'm glad more people come to realize it reduces pollution & truck traffic!!

by Sir Ray

Wasn't it just a few years ago that NS decided to start hauling trailers from a Pennsylvania site (Bethlemham, maybe) to the Ports instead of hauling them to Port Newark/Elizabeth? Something about cost and time in transit?

by washingtonsecondary

Those are the Road Railers.
  by SecaucusJunction

Yes, I know this is an old thread...

Port container numbers are rising above pre-recession levels... Final numbers for 2011 rail on-dock movements are just becoming available. But the estimates should put the total number of containers railed from the port in the 410,000 - 425,000 range at best for the year... just slightly more than 25% of the 1.5 million that Port Authority was hoping for in 2011 just 4 years ago. Thanks a lot NS.
  by northjerseybuff

SJ just posts on emotion with no fact. This has been going on for months on the east end tier forum, about trains coming back "soon"
Please excuse his post wolfboy. Railroaders like yourself don't need to be dragged in to this "foamer" stuff
  by SecaucusJunction

wolfboy8171981 wrote:How is this NS's fault?
lack of manpower
lack of capacity
lack of marketing
lack of foresight
lack of competiveness

I could go on... NS was really caught with their pants down when the traffic came back strong in their regions after the recession. They're still trying to play catch up and it is hurting them. Expanding services is out of the question for the near future. The numbers in NJ speak for themselves, no matter what excuse they'd like to use...
  by wolfboy8171981

Unless you can back up those claims with specifics, I can't see it. I'm all for bashing CSX and NS over stupid decisions they make. I'm on a different end of the operations, but both companys move a good ammount of traffic out of the port.
  by SecaucusJunction

NS admits they don't have the manpower to expand operations. Most traffic destined for east of Harrisburg, PA comes in on I-78 and NS seems ok with that. They have probably about 2-3 years to get their act together before the Panama Canal is widened and many more containers come to the area. It is my job to research these trends every day. It could be a good opportunity for them, but they need to expand now and have the resources in place by the time it happens. If they do not, I do not want to be anywhere near I-78 or the NJ Turnpike after that time.

On a positive note, FedEx traffic to Croxton on existing trains seems to be picking up as of late.
  by wolfboy8171981

I'll give you this. NS has no idea what goes on at Dockside. All they know is 25V and 23M picks up cars there. I would think if the PANYNJ is as powerfull as they think they are, they could force NS's hand, with better service, if there service does in fact lack. You dont think that the PANYNJ could have been over optimistic about future rail traffic.
  by SecaucusJunction

wolfboy8171981 wrote:I'll give you this. NS has no idea what goes on at Dockside. All they know is 25V and 23M picks up cars there. I would think if the PANYNJ is as powerfull as they think they are, they could force NS's hand, with better service, if there service does in fact lack. You dont think that the PANYNJ could have been over optimistic about future rail traffic.

Exactly my thoughts on NS. Their market share of NJ port business is in the toilet. They can only force NS so much. I do know that they have further agreements in place with NS to move traffic to different markets but NS does not seem to have plans to implement these in the near future. I am wondering if there could be any legal ramifications from this. I agree that they might have been overly optimistic about the rail traffic, but this is by too great of a number. They have completed work as they have promised but the railroads are not keeping their end of the deal.
  by wolfboy8171981

SecaucusJunction wrote: They have completed work as they have promised but the railroads are not keeping their end of the deal.

Wow, The railroad lied to you...... Welcome to the club.
  by kilroy

I'm sure if NS would just rebuild the Southern Tier the volume of containers through the Port will triple and the economy will boom and unemplyemnt will fall to bolow 4%. : b
  by northjerseybuff

haha kilroy nailed it on the head. Maybe SJ is seeing the light here..NS promises---> SJ believes but--------=facts don't match what NS promises. Southern tier will see trains in "late 2010 early 2011" a quote from an NS employee....we are now in 2012 and no signs of this. Keep believing SJ!