• Specialized whistle signals

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by BR&P

It might be interesting to discuss whistle signals other than the standard ones found in the book of rules. Sometimes local conditions and operations dictated whistle signals particular to that location or condition. Two examples to get started:

In the "old days" it was sometimes necessary to signal for a relief engine to be ready for a hotshot at an upcoming terminal. Harold Crouch said he thought it was the opposite of a crossing signal, i.e. short - short - long - short. Can anyone confirm?

And in Charlotte NY, the swing bridge was sometimes lined for traffic on the Genesee River while the crew switched nearby. When the train wanted the bridge, the signal was long-short-short-long, asking the bridge tender to line the bridge for rail traffic.

Any others?

(We'd probably better skip the personal signals engineers used to tell the wife to get supper ready, LOL.)

by ChiefTroll

Confirmed.

Rule 14 (bb) in the 1937 Book of Rules:

(0 0 --- 0). Relief engine required. To be sounded passing first two open stations after defect develops and operator or signalman must immediately notify the train dispatcher.

The timetable special instructions for many divisions carried a good many whistle signals for local application. I'll see if I can dig out some of them later.
Last edited by ChiefTroll on Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by ChiefTroll

The Electric Division had an extensive series of ten different signals to shut off power on Tracks 1 - 8, NYNH&H, and other than main tracks. A signal of
(0 0 pause 0 0) signified that "Engineman of MU train requires assistance." (--- 0 0 0 0) signified "Jumpers required."

Eastern District divisions, except the B&A (dunno why) had (0 0 --- 0) for "Must be sounded to notify signalman that train or engine is stopped and will not proceed until proper indication has been received in accordance with Rule 615." That was a reuse of old 14 (bb) when the 1956 Book of Rules was issued and 14 (bb) was deleted.

I don't see a reference to a special signal for the Charlotte Bridge, but that might have been in effect some years earlier than 1965. (---) indicates one long sound - it's the best I could do with this typography.

by BR&P

Actually the Charlotte Bridge whistle signal was still in use in the 1970's. No idea when it was started, but the longer back one goes, i.e. pre-radio days, the more logical that there was SOME sort of signal. It was so commonly used I am surprised it was not noted somewhere but perhaps it was just a local custom rather than something prescribed by ETT.