• Southern Tier - West of Binghamton

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by nysw136

Anyone notice that the track gang camp cars are back in Binghamton with a bunch of flats of track equipment? Not sure how long they've been there, but I did notice that one rail of Track 1 between Johnson and CP-217 has been switched from jointed rail to new welded rail dated 2010. Anyone know what the speed rating for the switch at CP-217 is? Track 1 speed is currently 25 so W/B's only get a medium clear, but if they raise Track 1 to 40mph, is limited clear a posssibility with the switch?

Kevin M.
  by malfunctjct

Track gang is the same one that was working on the Tier a couple of weeks ago. They are back to finish what didn't get done before. Also of note, the Johnson Rnr. now has welded rail and new ties. I believe the switch at 217 is good for 30mph only but I would have to double check. If they were going to have the speed higher, they would have programmed the signals to display limited (limited clear, etc...) and put a restriction on the switch until the speed could be raised.
  by malfunctjct

Old rail in a couple of curves. Should be taken care of soon......
  by SecaucusJunction

I read a rumor on Yahoo that after Mechanicville opens in a few weeks, the Tier might be down one intermodal train per day, but also might gain an autorack train. No news for East of Binghamton in regards to Mechanicville, though.
  by blockline4180

SecaucusJunction wrote:I read a rumor on Yahoo that after Mechanicville opens in a few weeks, the Tier might be down one intermodal train per day, but also might gain an autorack train. No news for East of Binghamton in regards to Mechanicville, though.

We don't deal in rumors here, we deal in facts!!!!
  by SecaucusJunction

blockline4180 wrote:
We don't deal in rumors here, we deal in facts!!!!

What fun would that be?
  by northjerseybuff

SJ lives on rumors! He never goes by facts on the tier boards
  by K4Pacific

There'll be a bulletin soon on operations. So it was your relatives that chose what books would go in the bible and which ones stayed out. I knew it.
  by northjerseybuff

hahaha..roger K4..I will be the first to admit my false posts as soon as i'm proven wrong...stay warm tonight brother
  by malfunctjct

Goodness gracious.....These rumors.....No trains being taken off the Tier......Trains to be added, not taken away......
  by K4Pacific

Bob Hagen retired yesterday as conductor. He's heading to Florida to ride Harley's. Also LPG tankers on the ground at Dresser Rand. Oh boy. Here we go.
  by Matt Langworthy

K4Pacific wrote:Also LPG tankers on the ground at Dresser Rand. Oh boy. Here we go.
I read about the derailment online last night after a fellow Hammondpsort alumnus alerted me to the accident. Was it an NS or a B&H derailment?
  by poppyl

Makes sense -- outbound from the facility just west of Savona on the B&H. Not trusting the media to get everything correct, sure hope that there is no butane involved.

Probably doesn't help the case that the operators of the Savona facility are making to open a similar operation up the Secondary at Reading Center.

Poppyl