• Southern Tier - West of Binghamton

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Matt Langworthy

Thank you, sir. i have also gotten confirmation from FB and the HU website that Pan Am is open again, which means the Tier should be getting back to normal soon (if not already).
  by Matt Langworthy

oibu wrote:You just keep splitting hairs and using strawmen to try to convince us that less trains is still more. Baffle em with BS tactics. The total number is still less and we all know it, regardless of whether it one is called train XYZ today and train 123 tomorrow.
This is a carry-over from the Southern Tier East forum. I'm continuing it here because we're really talking about the western Tier.

The debate is essentially this: oibu seems think that NS hasn't added traffic between Bingo and Buffalo, when in fact they have added 22K, 23K, 28N, 287, 66N and 67N -which had no predecessors on CP or CR.
  by oibu

We're done here Matt. New symbols or a change in operators don't make a new/additional train. End of story.

All I can say is, please think carefully before feeding the bears, unless you want the circus music cued up.
  by Matt Langworthy

oibu wrote:We're done here Matt. New symbols or a change in operators don't make a new/additional train. End of story.

All I can say is, please think carefully before feeding the bears, unless you want the circus music cued up.
As stated previously, NS 22K and 23K are not related to NS 205 or 206. I even have photographic evidence of them being separate trains, if anyone is interested.

NS 28N and 287 do represent new business with Pan Am, because there were NO unit auto rack trains on the Tier prior to 2014. And even you admit 66N and 67N represent a new venture with the P&W.

I'm not feeding anything- just telling the truth
  by oibu

Scot, you're not helping anything by letting Matt propogate lies that some unsuspecting folks might actually believe.

That's all. We don't need anymore piling out of clown cars here. One dancing bear act is enough.

BTW, Matt, since you didn't get that either, the comment was for others not to feed (i.e., egg on) you. Just in case anyone hadn't seen the other thread and stumbled into this thinking there actually was a debate, since you couldn't get any traction there and resuscitated it again here to everyone's mutual annoyance.

Have a nice day on your faltering railroad, guys!

Geez, I'll bet they'll be 1000 trains by this time next year at this rate.
  by Jeff Smith

You're all in timeout. And if I do unlock it, and this resumes, I'll sit you in the corner.
  by Jeff Smith

Unlocked; I'm all for debate, but between this topic and the "East" topic, I can't tell which is more argumentative. Please, please, please don't make me review a dozen pages to determine who's being the jerk. And if you think you know who the jerk is, just don't respond. That makes it harder for me to tell. And if you are the jerk, cut it out. Make your point, and move on.

Thanks.
  by 161pw165

In a hopefully less-volatile vein...

The last week or so, I've noticed a fairly long train EB out of Buffalo in the mid-afternoon. Consist has been a mix of general freight, autoracks, and Hunt intermodals. Anyone know what symbol this is? I ask because of the mix. Is this in addition to the separate dedicated autorack and intermodals or are these being combined on some days?

Thanks in advance...
  by Matt Langworthy

You probably saw NS 36T. It does have auto racks, just as predecessor NS 13T did. Intermodal has been added on some 36T runs since NS acquired the D&H, based on reports and photos from Facebook. This intermodal traffic is going to Taylor (in PA), rather than New England.
  by johnpbarlow

36T carrying JB Hunt intermodals for Taylor is an interesting development. Are these intermodals coming into Buffalo on 206? And are they being dropped at Binghamton for K82 to forward to Taylor or does 36T drop them at Taylor? Ordinarily Taylor double stacks (mostly EMP containers in my observation) coming from Chicago go via 22K to K82 at Binghamton. Also ordinarily, I didn't think 36T stopped at Taylor. 36T does haul an occasional block of Hapag-Lloyd international containers bound for the port of NJ that it gets from Toronto by way of CP interchange at Bison yard, I believe.

But things can change especially with NS turning over rocks to save a few bucks on ops.
  by Matt Langworthy

I'm not sure where/how NS 36T gets its intermodal block for Taylor. It doesn't stop there every run. BTW, NS 37T has an intermodal block from Taylor on occasion, too.

Now, here's the strange one: how does NS 309 get intermodal traffic? I've noticed that a few times,l as well.
  by Matt Langworthy

Here's the slide show from my visit to CP Cass, when I saw NS 37T with stacks:

http://s857.photobucket.com/user/Eriela ... rnell%20NY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

All photos in the link were taken by me Saturday 3/26/2016 in Hornell, NY. It also includes NS 36T, 23K and 205.
  by ANDY117

36T and 37T don't work at Taylor, nor do they carry any domestic stacks, unless there was some emergency in Buffalo that they needed to get on the next train available. The sea containers for New Jersey come in from both Toronto, and down from Saratoga on 30T.
  by C2629

NS train 309 coil steel cars ?

I have seen 309 recently with some coil steel cars in its consist. One day last week there were over 70 of them in a row on a 150 car 309. Where do they come from and where do they go to ?
  by poppyl

Up until a couple of weeks ago there was a long string of them parked in the Baker Street yard in North Corning. Wonder if that is what you saw.

Poppyl