• Southern Tier - East of Binghamton

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by SecaucusJunction

Also, a lot of people forget, but the NEC was supposed to be used as a through route right after the merger from NJ to points south, even roadrailers were going to use this routing. After some tests were done, it looks like NS found that it wasn't worth the costs, I believe, and kept traffic on the Lehigh.

K4, do you know any details on the premium service? I'm guessing it will be... Pay a little more for guaranteed or expedited deliveries on certain routes?
  by blockline4180

Yeah, I believe the 25A(?) and perhaps another symbol ran on the NE Corridor in 2003 and maybe part of 2004. That service was probably not that lucrative as NS ended it rather abruptly. I do remember seeing pictures of single stack containers with 3 or 4 modified GP40's...

A train like this is probably the only thing that would ever fit on the WASS and the NJT Boonton Line if those lines would ever be upgraded.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHasatJ3 ... re=related

However, like SJ said, the Lehigh Line and Southern Tier would have to be exhausted before they even think about using "other" routes into and out of NJ.
  by Matt Langworthy

blockline4180 wrote:However, like SJ said, the Lehigh Line and Southern Tier would have to be exhausted before they even think about using "other" routes into and out of NJ.
That would take a huge traffic increase. Among other things, the Erie/EL/Southern Tier mainline was double track through much of its history and NS could relay the 2nd track if it ever needs the capacity. I'm not saying that will happen any time soon... but it would certainly preclude the use of the Boonton/Morris & Essex or High Bridge routes. Why pay huge costs and fight NIMBYs when double tracking the Tier is sooo much easier?
  by northjerseybuff

considering they haven't used option B yet, using option C(Boonton(washington sec) seems like a 0% chance for now and the long term future
  by blockline4180

Matt Langworthy wrote:
blockline4180 wrote:However, like SJ said, the Lehigh Line and Southern Tier would have to be exhausted before they even think about using "other" routes into and out of NJ.
That would take a huge traffic increase. Among other things, the Erie/EL/Southern Tier mainline was double track through much of its history and NS could relay the 2nd track if it ever needs the capacity. I'm not saying that will happen any time soon... but it would certainly preclude the use of the Boonton/Morris & Essex or High Bridge routes. Why pay huge costs and fight NIMBYs when double tracking the Tier is sooo much easier?

Yo Matt....Did I ever say that they would definitely use those alternate routes? The answer is NO... I'm just speculating and having some fun here even though the chances are nil to none....Let us have our fun..Thanks!
  by SecaucusJunction

I agree it would take a very sizable traffic increase to make NS consider using alternate routes. I think them using the Southern Tier in the near future is a given. If inland port is successful, I could see them using it for other overflow service as well. This is why I can't figure out why they single tracked the railroad west of Binghamton. I do think that Patriot Corridor/Pan Am and shale traffic could put a serious dent in capacity west of Binghamton in the not too distant future. If that happens, the service east of Binghamton would have to be limited. Again, this is just my long term thinking. Who would have ever thought the day would come when the Southern Tier was TOO busy... at least west of Binghamton.
  by malfunctjct

SJ,
The single track project was partially funded by New York State. Now Bing. - Waverly is 261 and 50mph. Wouldn't take much to extend a siding or two....A lot cheaper to do it this way then having to do all that work on 2 tracks. Plus money from the state never hurts....

I wonder why NS is in such a hurry to pick up all the old rail AND ties....
  by 161pw165

malfunctjct wrote:SJ,
The single track project was partially funded by New York State. Now Bing. - Waverly is 261 and 50mph. Wouldn't take much to extend a siding or two....A lot cheaper to do it this way then having to do all that work on 2 tracks. Plus money from the state never hurts....

I wonder why NS is in such a hurry to pick up all the old rail AND ties....
Maybe they just like their ROW to be tidy????
  by Matt Langworthy

blockline4180 wrote:
Matt Langworthy wrote:

Yo Matt....Did I ever say that they would definitely use those alternate routes? The answer is NO... I'm just speculating and having some fun here even though the chances are nil to none....Let us have our fun..Thanks!
Um... I was agreeing with you. Nowhere did I state that you said NS would use the alternate routes. ;)

Now, back to the Tier.

Next question: if NS does start using the Tier east of Bingo again, would most of the trains run at night to avoid congestion from NJT operations?
  by Matt Langworthy

malfunctjct wrote:I wonder why NS is in such a hurry to pick up all the old rail AND ties....
The old rail has scrap value... and (depending on their condition) the ties may also have resale value, as well.
  by blockline4180

Yes, of course they would all be run at night, for intermodel anyway. Most intermodel trains leave NJ after dark anyway!
  by Roscoe P. Coaltrain

"I wonder why NS is in such a hurry to pick up all the old rail AND ties...."

For the same reason Kodak is imploding their unused buildings - bare land carries a lower tax burden than improved land.
  by K4Pacific

Easy does it. NS protocol is of boy scout in nature. Keep the right of way neat, tight, and clean. They won't leave stuff lying around.
  by malfunctjct

Any signs of NYSW track work east of Binghamton? I have seen some NYSW ballast cars heading east from Binghamton...
  by northjerseybuff

April 1 is Friday..the anniversary of Conrail. I wonder if any announcement will be made on this historic day!