• Southern Tier - East of Binghamton

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by blockline4180

SecaucusJunction wrote:So perhaps the crews for the East end might come out of Binghamton, rather than Croxton? If you think about it, it would make more sense.

Is there any indication that new crews will be trained for east of Binghamton operations?

Maybe, but it seems any indication of that is strictly confidential, or else k4pacific would have extrapolated on his last post! IMHO, the hirings can't be bad for the Eastern end of the Tier.
  by K4Pacific

Croxton crews will handle Beasty East. BUME/MEBU (I just miss the old alpha symbols) and ENME/MEEN traffic. This all goes back to the original 1999 plan. I81, I88, I90/86. The Easty Beast follows the I80/87/90 plan. This is going to happen. Logistic companies are clamoring for service faster than NS can provide.
  by jadams02

Is the 1999 plan posted somewhere or can you refresh our memory or expand - eg, what does BUME stand for Buffalo-?
  by K4Pacific

All I have is a nice file folder with the plan that was presented to the community meetings that year from Binghamton, Elmira, and Corning. Albeit propaganda. Perhaps you can google 1999 NS/Conrail acquisition plan. Also get the book "The Men Who Loved Trains" by Richard Loving. A great read.
  by K4Pacific

BUME - Buffalo to Mechanicsville. BUAB - Buffalo to Albany. BUEB - Buffalo to East Binghamton. 1980s alpha designations of trains on D&H, Then NYSW stacks had their own. But you knew what was up. Others can put in on the East End such as early stacks on CR. TV 401, 550, etc.
  by century430

I'm assuming ENME/MEEN means Enola - Mechanicville? I saw it stated that crews would handle this train and BUME/MEBU..sounds like trains that get to BInghamton and go north or turn west. What impact does this have on the East End of the Tier? Also, what is the "Easty Beast"? Perhaps I am missing something here that is obvious, but how does this affect Bingo east?

Jim Rowland
  by douglasmulls

Please no more riddles are we getting trains on the east end or not??
  by northjerseybuff

are these international logistics or domestic logistics. March 1st is next week..no trains no crews for the east end..something may be fishy
  by blockline4180

douglasmulls wrote:Please no more riddles are we getting trains on the east end or not??

But common, k4 is the Riddler!! Likes to Beat around the Bush...!
  by blockline4180

douglasmulls wrote:Please no more riddles are we getting trains on the east end or not??

But common, k4 is the Riddler!! Likes to Beat around the Bush...!
  by SecaucusJunction

K4Pacific wrote:BUME - Buffalo to Mechanicsville. BUAB - Buffalo to Albany. BUEB - Buffalo to East Binghamton. 1980s alpha designations of trains on D&H, Then NYSW stacks had their own. But you knew what was up. Others can put in on the East End such as early stacks on CR. TV 401, 550, etc.
Yes, Conrail had TV201/203 and TV78 (TOFC) on the Southern Tier up to 1999. East of Binghamton had 257, 258, 268, 550, 551, 553, 555 on NYSW. There may have been some I'm forgetting. I believe the D&H also had a 269.

K4, is this what you are referring to? I just found this link regarding the Norfolk Southern operating plan in 1999

http://www.trainweb.org/southerntier/hi ... plan1.html

Regarding the Tier, I see the following was written... although before anyone knew NS symbols or Expressrail was built:

" AUBVRH and AURHBV will be important new automotive multilevel trains
operated from Bellevue to the Ridgefield Heights, NJ ramp on a
dedicated basis via the Southern Tier.

DSCGCX-1, DSCGCX-2, DSCXCG-1, DSCXCG-1, DSCXCG-2, IMCXSL, IMSLCX are
representative of new schedules NS will operate as through service
from Chicago via the Southern Tier Route from Buffalo to Croxton, NJ.
Six intermodal trains a day will be operated in and out of the Croxton
terminal. Four of these trains will be doublestack, and the third pair
between Croxton and St. Louis will handle both doublestack and
conventional intermodal traffic. The St. Louis trains will connect
with the Kansas City trains at the Toledo (Airline) hub, providing
48-hour service between Northern New Jersey and Kansas City, with
traffic pre-blocked for western connections.

Although the Southern Tier line will require some upgrading, the
remainder of the route structure is in excellent condition, and the
combination of former New York Central and Pennsylvania routes from
Chicago through Cleveland to Harrisburg and Reading, PA is
substantially all multiple main track and traffic control. With this
type of route capacity and flexibility, a high degree of service
reliability can be achieved, especially when taken in conjunction with
a blocking and train operation plan which is specifically designed to
maximize reliability. The transportation plan should provide a high
degree of customer satisfaction."

This sounds a lot like their new Crescent Corridor initiative:

" IMATER-1, IMATER-2, IMERAT-1, IMERAT-2, IMBLNO, and IMNOBL will
connect the Northeast and Southeast. NS currently operates two
intermodal trains daily between Atlanta and Newark. These new
schedules will originate and terminate from NS's expanded E-Rail
facilities. Transit time from the E-Rail facility to Atlanta will
average 32 hours. The trains will handle conventional intermodal and
doublestack traffic and will be routed via the Lehigh line. (Until
such time as clearance improvements are made, these trains will
operate via the Trenton Line.) Connections to Jacksonville and Miami
will be made in Atlanta."
  by blockline4180

SJ,

That pretty NEATO! So in other words that buffalo stuff on the tier will only be about 12-13 years late when its initialized?? lolol