• Southern New England Railroad

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by B&M 1227

this came up on my feed today. no one seems to know anything about it, or will not say... hmm?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by johnpbarlow

Would this be ex-D&H RS36 5019 that had been used by S&NC's predecessor Upper Hudson River and had been sitting out-of-service outside at North Creek, NY for so many years recently?

Jacob Rink photo of 9/18 as posted on rrpicturearchives.net:
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=5022685
  by johnpbarlow

Just saw on the Delaware & Hudson Facebook page that this unit is being painted at Delaware Coast Line’s Georgetown DE shops.
  by GP40MC1118

This is an interesting development! Like you, I wonder what's up? New startup
somewhere along that proposed route? Can't imagine where though.

D
  by GP40MC1118

Seems this whole thing has blown up tonight. A thread about it on one of the Facebook pages was taken down
tonight!

Cat's out of the bag though. If you want anonymity, then don't paint your engine in D&H colors and letter it for a
never built legend of a railroad expecting people won't sit up and notice!

D
  by Trainman14

Interesting, will this be the only engine? Or are there more on the way?
  by Jeff Smith

http://www.branchlinepress.com/catalog/ ... 6-0-5.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Seems there’s some history to the SNERR aka the “Titanic”.
MYTH and mystery surround the never-completed Southern New England Railroad for which immense fills, deep rock cuts, and lofty abutments still mark its 85-mile route from Palmer, MA, to Rhode Island. Begun in 1910 by the Grand Trunk RR, the line was covertly fought by New England “Railroad Lord” Charles S. Mellen in a fierce battle exhaustively researched and eloquently recounted by historian Larry Lowenthal.
  by GP40MC1118

More possibilities:

1) New London - new C&D facility being built at the old yard. Possibly switcher for it?

2) Plainfield - Rawson Quarry has a leased GATX MP15. Might be a replacement unit?

D
  by p42thedowneaster

Perhaps they also should consider naming the locomotive after the fictional character from Downton Abbey, Robert Crawley, (Earl of Grantham). In the story line, he loses a fortune on his north American railway investments with the sinking of RMS Titanic. While I could take or leave the show...I did appreciate the few tidbits of history that made it's way through the soap.
  by backroadrails

I believe the Southern New England is a new shortline based out of CT.
  by craven

My copy of "Titanic Railroad: The Southern New England" arrived yesterday.

Should be a good Winter read..
  by GP40MC1118

Photos of the engine surfaced last night on Facebook, still inside the Delaware Coast RR's engine-house.
Now sports SNEX reporting marks with faux Alco builder's plates. Looks pretty much completed. No comments
on where its heading though.

D