• SOO units on the Water Level Route

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by Schaffner

Saw a westbound train stopped in Erie the other day with two SOO units in the lead, both either SD50's or 60's, one red, one white. A several months back saw a train passing through with a soild consist of white SOO units. Are these CP trains, or CSX trains with CP units?
  by charlie6017

They are CSX trains...........SOO power is run-thru.
  by roadster

The train you saw was Q381-22.
  by sd80mac

Schaffner wrote:Saw a westbound train stopped in Erie the other day with two SOO units in the lead, both either SD50's or 60's, one red, one white. A several months back saw a train passing through with a soild consist of white SOO units. Are these CP trains, or CSX trains with CP units?

Someone told me that SOO engines were bringing grain train into Albany last week. So it may be the same engines that went on Q381...
  by lvrr325

Soo/CP runthroughs on grain trains aren't that uncommon. Occasionally they get used elsewhere, I recall a CP unit turning up working the Strates Shows train at the NY State Fair one year (I forget if it was inbound or outbound), but that's much more unusual.