• SIRR container traffic to NJ to start this month....

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by SIRR4207

Yeah you never know what the future brings. Staten Island produces alot of garbage. They have 3 sanitation garages that collect trash 6 days a week. I wish railroadpicarchives accepts me so i can post my photos.

by VinLaz

Im gonna head out to South ave Monday in the morn and around noon. See if anything comes by. That the best spot for pics and general veiwing.

by Sir Ray

SIRR4207 wrote:Yeah you never know what the future brings. Staten Island produces alot of garbage. They have 3 sanitation garages that collect trash 6 days a week. I wish railroadpicarchives accepts me so i can post my photos.
I remember that they are reviving the Manhattan marine transfer stations (or are supposed to) - are they barging/going to Barge to Fresh Kills, and transload the Manhattan trash using this transfer station also?

by SIRR4207

I remember that they are reviving the Manhattan marine transfer stations (or are supposed to) - are they barging/going to Barge to Fresh Kills, and transload the Manhattan trash using this transfer station also?
I am not sure what other boroughs use the SI facility. I know they want to use the marine transfer station again to ship trash to be containerized in staten island. time will tell

by SIRR4207

Hey VinLaz.....Did you see todays train?

by VinLaz

Nah couldnt get over there.

by VinLaz

Drove past the dump around 1pm. There was a NS loco sitting in the yard.

by Spartan Phalanx

There was a piece in today's N.Y. Post about Mayor Bloomstein inaugurating rail service on the SIRR, I assume the Travis Branch. The article didn't get into specifics about exactly where, the train length, etc.

by MarkRouters

They were also talking about the inauguration on 1010WINS yesterday. Again, not too specific.

by VinLaz

The article was about the trash train.

by SIRR4207

Hey vin i got some pics to show you. Send me a private message with your e-mail and i'll send them to you.

by blockline4180

Yet another article...This time with Michael Bloomberg playing brakeman :P

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/18/nyreg ... 0&emc=eta1

City Reopens Old Rail Line for Staten Island Trash and Freight
By RAY RIVERA
Published: April 18, 2007

Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg announced the reopening of the Staten
Island Railroad yesterday, an important step in his plan to transform
the way the city disposes of the thousands of tons of garbage it
collects daily.

by SIRR4207

Engine 8829 and a wide body lead todays train in SI

by Sir Ray

Well, OK, so Bloomie 'officially' inaugrated the first revived SI freight run (which I think was actually the 3rd or 4th revenue run). So we have that traffic going.
But the original reason for thie reactivation of this line was the container port, so does anyone know what we're waiting on in that regards. The trash transfers may have been considered at the time, but in the 1990s service to the container port was always the driving force (according to the media...)
Finally, Visy (or whatever they're called) & Van Bros get a mention, and I remember that loading pads were build in from of Visy, next to Victory Blvd, so what are we waiting for there?

by SIRR4207

I know they through the switch in for visy but I don't know if they actually ran the track to where they will lay up the cars. As for vanbro I don't know if they actually got a switch put in.