• Signals on NYA's Lower Montauk line

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
  by Teutobergerwald

Are the signals on the now-NYA controlled Lower Montauk line between Richmond Hill and Long Island City still operational and used by the NYA ???
  by lirr42

I thought the Lower Montauk was always Manual Block territory and thus signaless?
  by Backshophoss

When LIRR gave control of the lower Montauk to NY+A ,they "retired" the ABS signals "in place" at the same time,and downgraded the
tracks to Secondary tracks. That included the "C" secondary from LIC yard to Bliss and the Montauk cutoff to what was yard "A" and
Arch St Shop area. Believe a NY+A Trainmaster controls the entire area from what was Pond Tower.
  by Insideman

POND was used on start up but all operations have moved to the new office/shop space.
  by DaveBarraza

It was Rule 251, (current of traffic,) from Jay to End of Block at Bliss.

Then a Form S clearance card was required from Bliss to LIC or Sunnyside.

About a month ago the signals were still lit, at least.
  by Teutobergerwald

The westbound signal near the end of the viaduct in Richmond Hill is still lit, as of today around noon.
  by emfinite

All movements on the secondary are made at restricted speed. The automatic block signals are disregarded now, but are still a good reference as to the condition of the block ahead. In addition, there is no more current of traffic (D-251).
  by Teutobergerwald

Is the former eastbound track on the Lower Montauk west of Jamaica the only track being used now? Every movement I've seen, be it NYA or LIRR, for a while now only seem to be using that track, as recently as late this afternoon I saw a westbound NYA train through Richmond Hill on the viaduct using that track. Is it just easier to run both ways on that track? Thanks.
  by DaveBarraza

The automatic block signals are disregarded now, but are still a good reference as to the condition of the block ahead.
As a practical matter, what does that mean?

Are the signals still maintained and tested per FRA regs? If they aren't, then they will gradually get more and more unreliable.

The track is restricted speed, in the event of a collision I don't think an inspector would take a "clear signal" defense...

It's an interesting situation, (at least for a signal engineer.)
  by jayrmli

Using just No. 2 track means you don't need to manually line and re-line the crossover switches. There's not much reason to use Track 1, since there's no customer sidings off of it. I guess they can use some of it for storage if need be.
  by Teutobergerwald

Took an AM westbound to Hunterspoint Avenue this morning. Passing next to the long-out of service leg of the Montauk Cutoff, I saw a signal of the new style the LIRR is using installed but covered with a black plastic cover at the end of the viaduct before the two ties that are placed to block further eastbound movement into the Sunnyside area. If they're installing new signals for this, obviously something is planned as far a return to service after a rebuild of that leg of the viaduct. Anybody know anymore?
  by Ocala Mike

Maybe something to do with the East Side Access project?
  by emfinite

It has nothing to do with ESA, but more so conformity with the rest of the interlocking. When F and Harold interlockings are finally completed in their new form, all position light signals will be replaced with G-head color lights. Harold's home signal on the Montauk Cutoff are no exception. The signal still exists because it still protects eastward movements into Harold from the cutoff. The cutoff is classified out of service, but there still needs to be a signal to protect eastward moves. The signal cannot just be abandoned.
  by Teutobergerwald

So eventually it will be lit, perpetually red ???
  by lirr42

Teutobergerwald wrote:So eventually it will be lit, perpetually red ???
I think it's perpetually red as it is now. No trains will ever use that ramp down to the interlocking again.