• Shortline operations in Lehigh and Berks

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by joshuahouse

I’m going to be down in the Allentown area for the first time in several years on the 26th and 27th. I’d like to be able to see some trains while in the area, but they are about third on the priority list.

First, how often do trains travel up and down the C&F? I would imagine that they run once a day but is it during the day or at night? What sort of power is generally assigned to this run? Also, what is its designation, is it also the local that drops off for EPRY in Topton, or perhaps the PRL at Emmaus Jct?

Second, how often does the EPRY receive cars in Topton? I’d love to be able to get over to Quakertown, but I think its out of the question (I’ll be operating out of Kutztown, I’m visiting the college) is it possible to get a look at their locomotives without trespassing?

Third, same basic question but in regard to PRL at Emmaus Jct? In all the time I lived in PA I can’t remember ever seeing a train on this line at any time. Which end is the power kept at Pennsburg or Emmaus, or perhaps someplace in between?

Fourth and final question, is there anything one needs to know about the Macungie rail park or whatever they call it? I know it’s in the municipal park but beyond that I know nothing. Is it under cover, does it have a scanner with speaker?

Thank you all in advance for any information you can provide.

by yutzk

No scanner or anything at the Macungie park thing. I sit there on occasion and you can sit VERY close to the tracks sooo its really cool.

Last I hear the C&F was a 24/7 operation mostly due to Coca Cola. They cross route 100 after 3PM most days to do work over there but you may catch it all day at other places. Best place to sit is right at the yard....

Kevin

by joshuahouse

Where is the yard on the C&F of which you speak?

by yutzk

Chapman Yard.

Its behind a strip mall of offices off Tilghman Street. You can get back there from a road that is at the bottom of the one overpass...if your coming from the Rt 22/78 area itd be on your right..make a right onto that..and another right after the stop sign and hellloooooo Chapman Yard...

Kevin

by lvrr353

The train usually comes up early in the morning. I generally catch him under I-78 around 7:15 - 7:30 in the morning.

by joshuahouse

Thank you all for your information so far.
  by jrevans

First, how often do trains travel up and down the C&F? I would imagine that they run once a day but is it during the day or at night?
Good question. I've never actually seen a train on the C&F, but somebody else already answered this.
I’d love to be able to get over to Quakertown, but I think its out of the question (I’ll be operating out of Kutztown, I’m visiting the college) is it possible to get a look at their locomotives without trespassing?
Not much to see in Quakertown. The EPRY 3153 can be seen in the distance, behind a fence, but the EPRY 57 is sitting out in the open, in front of the freight station.
Third, same basic question but in regard to PRL at Emmaus Jct? In all the time I lived in PA I can’t remember ever seeing a train on this line at any time. Which end is the power kept at Pennsburg or Emmaus, or perhaps someplace in between?
Power is kept at a plant in Pennsburg, and is basically inaccessible. There is security protecting the plant, and the locomotive is usually situated in a place that's hard to see from the road.
Fourth and final question, is there anything one needs to know about the Macungie rail park or whatever they call it? I know it’s in the municipal park but beyond that I know nothing. Is it under cover, does it have a scanner with speaker?
There is a roof, but I'm unsure about a scanner, as I've never actually stopped there. I tend to railfan late at night and I didn't want to freak anyone out by showing up there at 1am on my motorcycle.... Someday I'll go there, but I usually hang out in Alburtis.

by joshuahouse

What sort of plant is there in Pennsburg that requires security?

by yutzk

I sometimes catch the local making the approach from the mainline some mornings around 8-9AM usually. So look for them on the incoming track and You can catch the power moving across Rt 100 usually around 3PM ish...

Kevin

by AlexC

Josh... Pennsburg has a bakery and a printing press operation.
That's on the old Perkiomen Branch
  by jrevans

joshuahouse wrote:What sort of plant is there in Pennsburg that requires security?
As AlexC said, there is a bakery (actually I didn't know what that plant was) and a printing press operation. It's just normal plant security, not anything special, but they do patrol the grounds, and you have to pass through a checkpoint to gain access.

Alex, last week, while riding my motorcycle through the area, I saw boxcars all the way next to Route 663. It was good to see.

I also did some railfanning further North and saw some ROW that I hadn't seen before. At Emmaus itself, I was amazed at the difference in elevation between the Perkiomen Branch and the Reading Line. I still haven't seen the place where the Perkiomen Branch splits off. It seems as though I'd have to walk a little bit to get there, since I've driven all around it, but never saw it.

by joshuahouse

Thank you all for all your help, I don't think I'll be able to log in before I leave in the morning, but in case I do get a chance, is there still a Yaccos (SP?) in Fogelsville?
  by jrevans

joshuahouse wrote:Thank you all for all your help, I don't think I'll be able to log in before I leave in the morning, but in case I do get a chance, is there still a Yaccos (SP?) in Fogelsville?
Yes, there is indeed a Yocco's on Route 100 in Foglesville. There's also one in Emmaus on Route 29. I frequently make a Yocco's stop while railfanning. :-)

by joshuahouse

Well, I'm back in upstate ny now. Thank you all for the help you were able to give. Due to my primary reason for the trip's taking up most of my time, I only had about 2 hours total to be track side. I was able to spend time in Macungie, and drove along the C&F and the Topton-Kutztown line, although I was only able to see opperating trains in Macungie. One question, is the big blue center cab in Topton completely out of service? It had boards over the windows.

by lvrr353

There are actually 2 of the center cabs. The other is on a siding by the quarry between Kutztown and Topton, according to my cousin. Both are out of service, and were delivered by rail a few months ago. There was a picture in R&R. I believe both are Whitcombs.