• sd 45s....what became of them?

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

by oddball

can anyone tell me where all the E-L sd45s all ended up?

by ANDY117

Retired, then sold to either a shortline, or scrapped. I know some of the SD45-2's are still used by CSX and NS.

by scottychaos

A few of the SDP45's are also still around.
one is preserved and restored to EL colors at a museum in Virginia,
at least one is still operating with Union Pacific,
and I know one is stored in rough shape at RMDI in Pittston, PA.
in CR blue.

And as Andy said, 2 or 3 of the SD45-2's are still operating with CSX and NS..

should we do a "Surviving EL locomotives" list? :P

Scot
  by Matt Langworthy

Hey guys, take alook at this link: www.geocities.com/heartland/meadows/3925/elrstr.html

Hope this helps!

by scottychaos

a survivor list has been started.
32 found so far.
stay tuned, I will post it this weekend..
Scot

by NYSW3614

Scotty-

The SD45 restored to EL paint is at St. Louis. #3607 I think? The VA MOT has and ex SDP45 in Conrail paint (they went to NS after CR) in pretty rough shape.

George Elwood's EL website documents the surviving DL&W, Erie, and EL equipment.

Joshua

by scottychaos

NYSW3614 wrote:Scotty-

The SD45 restored to EL paint is at St. Louis. #3607 I think? The VA MOT has and ex SDP45 in Conrail paint (they went to NS after CR) in pretty rough shape.

George Elwood's EL website documents the surviving DL&W, Erie, and EL equipment.

Joshua
Joshua,
where? I just looked through the entire EL portion of the Elwood site, found nothing about surviving locos..

as far as I know, no one has ever compiled a EL survivors list all in one place..

Scot

by scottychaos

NYSW3614 wrote:Scotty-

Joshua
yep! 3607 is looking gorgeous! :P

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=81422

Scot

by njt4172

About 9 of the ex EL SD45-2 are still in service for NS/CSX........Some are now classified as SD40-2 though.....
  by Matt Langworthy

Another great web page, Scot! :P You did miss one engine- NYLE #308 (Alco S-1) is in fact ex-Erie/ex-EL #308. She came from an Indiana shortline (Indiana Cross Harbour?) but I'm not sure so I'd appreciate info from anyone who knows more about her history between EL and NYLE.

by scottychaos

thanks Matt!
I will get her added to the page..
glad you are enjoying the pages! :P
Scot
  by njt4172

Matt Langworthy wrote:Another great web page, Scot! :P You did miss one engine- NYLE #308 (Alco S-1) is in fact ex-Erie/ex-EL #308. She came from an Indiana shortline (Indiana Cross Harbour?) but I'm not sure so I'd appreciate info from anyone who knows more about her history between EL and NYLE.
Scot,

I have a couple more for ya.......
1)Ex DLW426 EMD SC Scranton, Pa
2) Metro-North RS3M #605 ex DL&W (Anyone know the original number???) Danbury, CT
3) Also a ex-DL&W GP7 survives somewhere... i need info on this...

Thanks,
Steve

by scottychaos

thanks Guys!

steve,
I got the GP7 info on another forum:

GP7 1278

"Here is the scoop on the 1278

Frame # 6339-4
Builders # 15720
Builders Date: April, 1952
Original # - DL&W 959
EL #1278
Dynamic Brake Equipped with 24 RL Air Brakes
1500 hp

Rebuilt by Conrail to a GP-8 renumbered 5460
Sold to Lehigh Stone as # 5460

Contact at Lehigh Stone is Ron Baron
Address:
Vulcan Materials 1277 South 7000 North Road
Kankakee, Illinois 60901"

by calorosome

scottychaos wrote: yep! 3607 is looking gorgeous! :P

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=81422

Scot
Man she's in good shape.

I've got an HO model of 3607, funny enough. That's Chuck Yungkurth's handiwork.