• scranton area

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by po5173

can anyone advise of any good spots to see "regular" frieght traffic in the scranton PA. area? (not the steamtown "type") I will be there dec. 1. Thanks for any possible info.

by metman499

The DL Portland Turn is currently running a MWF schedule and should leave Scranton for points east durning the morning you are there. There is also the possibility of a grain train from Canada as well as local DL traffic. The Reading and Northern should be running north from Pittston to Mehoopany that morning as well. Mainline trains also travese CP during the day and Taylor is very close to Scranton if you want to watch some yard switching.

by po5173

thanks metman, what would be the best area to go to see class 1 type mainline action.....I will be at the raddison lackawanna station....thanks again.

by metman499

That would be the CP line from Sunbury to Binghamton. The line is relatively easy to parallel heading north from Scranton via Route 11 and a few local roads. There are some trains that run during the day via this line but I believe that most run at night. I used to catch a northbound through Wilkes-Barre at around 4 PM last year but I don't get out to do too much railfanning. If you just want to hang out in one spot for class 1 stick to Taylor yard (accessed from your hotel by taking Lackawanna Ave past Steamtown to where it T's and turning left. Go through Taylor and turn in by a sign for NS. There is a small parking area near some fuel trucks that is a favored haunt by locals.) Don't go wandering the yard as there is a pretty good police presence in the area maintained by CP.

by po5173

thanks metman for your info.....police presence is ok...kills two birds w/ one stone...I am also a police officer and trade patches(specific to rr police) and i dont have thier patch...thanks again.