• Scanners and Freqs for New York area

• Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.
Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.

Moderator: Aa3rt

by bionicworm1

Hi All,

I work near the track (almost on the track) at New Bridge Road in Bergenfield, and wanted a little advance warning when a train is going to pass so I can take a break at the same time and head to the track to video it. As it is now, by the time I hear it (or feel the rumble) the engines have passed. I was thinking of getting a cheap scanner. Can anyone give me a little info on scanners and freqs that I could program, and exactly where (area wise) to listen for, to be fore warned the trains are around the bend? Thanks in advance.

Mike Rapp
Yonkers, New York

by Steve F45

i'de go up to the radio shack thats just up the road in that strip mall. as for the frequencies i can't remember the numbers, but a google search would get themfor you.

by bionicworm1

Thank You,

I looked it up and I think I know what I want. I'm just not too sure. I'm hoping that Radio Shack has some rail fans at least as customers to guide me. I live on the old NYC Water Level Route and would like to catch the late night freights here too so it may work out great. Over here in Yonkers, all five local RS's are a bust when it comes to anything more than cell phones. I work next to the track in Bergenfield so I'll walk over to RS tomorrow.

Mike Rapp

by Rivetjoint

http://www.scannerworld.com/
Try these folks - they operate out of Albany.

by bigkidtrainz31

b-worm,
stick with radio shack until you find one that's decent
enough to have a basic scanner. i don't know if you commute
thru the city but i got mine next to grand central.
have had it mine for a year now without a problem. a pro528.
i lucked out and got it on sale tho. they have desktop models too,
but the handheld ones are good because of their portability. most
come with headphone jacks too. they come pre-programmed so you
should have the frequency you need alredy in there. i'm still kinda new
to NJ, but i believe you'll need a CSX frequency cause that's what goes up
thru CP-5 Ridgefield Park up that way. You can search the post below too...might help ya out.

http://railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 5aad0a53cd

good luck,peace,
bktrainz31

by bionicworm1

All of New Bridge Road by the track was evacuated at about 4pm totay due to a major natural gas leak by the track. I was waiting to go back into my store which may not even happen tomorrow, so I figured I'd buy a scanner. The guy's at the Shack were useless. Did not know what a scanner was or where they were kept. I disturbed them while watching a football game by trying to buy something. I think I'll just get my HAM license again. It expired while I was out with heart failure and did not realize it till it was too late. It's easier than trying to buy from Radio Shack.

Mike Rapp

by Otto Vondrak

[moved to the Radio Forum - omv]

by Otto Vondrak

A quick internet search will get you all the radio fequencies you need. Also check the links provided in this forum...

-otto-

by Conrail4evr

bionicworm1 wrote: All of New Bridge Road by the track was evacuated at about 4pm totay due to a major natural gas leak by the track. I was waiting to go back into my store which may not even happen tomorrow, so I figured I'd buy a scanner. The guy's at the Shack were useless. Did not know what a scanner was or where they were kept. I disturbed them while watching a football game by trying to buy something. I think I'll just get my HAM license again. It expired while I was out with heart failure and did not realize it till it was too late. It's easier than trying to buy from Radio Shack.

Mike Rapp
That and a Ham radio will run circles around a scanner in terms of sensitivity and, most importantly for that area, selectivity. I'd just pick up a Vertex VX-150 - they're great little radios, and not at all expensive (http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/ht/3187.html $125 on this link, right around the same price as a Radio Shack scanner). Good luck!

by bionicworm1

Nick,

Thanks for the info. I'm going to contact the local club to be sure I have off when the test is given. I like Yaesu products (currently have a 757GX) and think that would be a nice start back into HAM.

Mike Rapp

by thor88

Conrail4evr wrote:
bionicworm1 wrote: All of New Bridge Road by the track was evacuated at about 4pm totay due to a major natural gas leak by the track. I was waiting to go back into my store which may not even happen tomorrow, so I figured I'd buy a scanner. The guy's at the Shack were useless. Did not know what a scanner was or where they were kept. I disturbed them while watching a football game by trying to buy something. I think I'll just get my HAM license again. It expired while I was out with heart failure and did not realize it till it was too late. It's easier than trying to buy from Radio Shack.

Mike Rapp
That and a Ham radio will run circles around a scanner in terms of sensitivity and, most importantly for that area, selectivity. I'd just pick up a Vertex VX-150 - they're great little radios, and not at all expensive (http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/ht/3187.html $125 on this link, right around the same price as a Radio Shack scanner). Good luck!
Better still would be a commercial radio. I use a Motorola Saber III with a Saber Vehicle Adapter. 120 channels in 10 zones. You carry it like a portable and when you get in your vehicle you just drop it in the Vehicle Adapter and it automatically switches to the vehicle mounted antenna and reads the radio to calculate how long since the battery was last charged to apply the correct amount of recharge to the battery. It also automatically switches to an amplified speaker mounted in the vehicle.

With this set-up I can hear portable radios up in Croxton as far away as Cranford and I can hear NYCTA PD in Port Jervis.

This radio set-up originally cost thousands, but it is a discontinued item by Motorola now and you can get a whole outfit on eBay for under $100.

A few issues...

The radio can ONLY be programmed with a computer. You need an OLD computer running DOS since the software will not work on 486 or faster computer, a special interface box called a RIB with proper cables and the radio software called "RSS." Everything but the software is available on eBay as either used or knock-off copies. The software is a little tricky to get, but sometimes can be found on Russian warez sites. Motorola still enforces the copyright on it and prosecutes pirates, so don't ask me for a copy.

In any case, do some research (try batlabs.com) before doing anything.

by bionicworm1

Thanks for the info. I'll look into it but right now I'm going for my HAM license either way and the HAM radios are not only very reasonable to receive with but I get to chat too. Once I make that investment then I'll look into the radios your discussing. I want to get back my old call sign if I can. I'm going to a meeting of the local HAM club tomorrow to get the info on taking the test in December.

Mike Rapp

by Conrail4evr

thor88 wrote: Better still would be a commercial radio. I use a Motorola Saber III with a Saber Vehicle Adapter. 120 channels in 10 zones. You carry it like a portable and when you get in your vehicle you just drop it in the Vehicle Adapter and it automatically switches to the vehicle mounted antenna and reads the radio to calculate how long since the battery was last charged to apply the correct amount of recharge to the battery. It also automatically switches to an amplified speaker mounted in the vehicle.

With this set-up I can hear portable radios up in Croxton as far away as Cranford and I can hear NYCTA PD in Port Jervis.

This radio set-up originally cost thousands, but it is a discontinued item by Motorola now and you can get a whole outfit on eBay for under $100.

A few issues...

The radio can ONLY be programmed with a computer. You need an OLD computer running DOS since the software will not work on 486 or faster computer, a special interface box called a RIB with proper cables and the radio software called "RSS." Everything but the software is available on eBay as either used or knock-off copies. The software is a little tricky to get, but sometimes can be found on Russian warez sites. Motorola still enforces the copyright on it and prosecutes pirates, so don't ask me for a copy.

In any case, do some research (try batlabs.com) before doing anything.
Well, I figured since he's interested in getting back into amateur radio that I'd recommend the VX-150 since it can also receive railroad channels and is a very good radio overall. A commercial radio would work as well, but I know Ham features vary with those of commercial radios, plus the whole pre-programmed thing...but, it's his decision.

How well do those Convertacom setups work? From what you've send, they do sound appealing, and I do have an extra Saber II lying around (I resurrected my GP68 from the dead, and its RX is much better than the Saber, so it doesn't see much use anymore).

I had a Kenwood TK-760G for a mobile setup originally, but through various happenings, I ended up with an Icom 2200H instead, and am looking to get rid of it for a Motorola instead. I'm looking at getting my hands on a CDM1550, although an MCS2000 or another Kenwood (TK-780, TK-760G) would work.

by thor88

Conrail4evr wrote: How well do those Convertacom setups work? From what you've send, they do sound appealing, and I do have an extra Saber II lying around (I resurrected my GP68 from the dead, and its RX is much better than the Saber, so it doesn't see much use anymore).
The Convetacom basically converts your Saber to mobile radio and that's the main reason I use a it.

I have an MX-series locomotive radio which far exceeds the Saber in performance and I also have a Spectra locomotive radio which better still.

I got the two loco radios at a CNW auction about 10 years ago and were listed as "non-working" and they were both basically "toast" when I got them. The MX had a bad 74v power supply and the Spectra had a literal "melt-down" in the 74v power supply when some dope decided that instead of replacing the blown fuse, it would be better to wrap it in aluminum foil.

You might also consider one of the RR classic lunch-box radios which show up on eBay quite often. There are two types - a crystal bound version and a programmable version. Stay away from the programmable one since you need a special programming box (called an R-1801) to program it and the used ones sell for >$500.

by thor88

One more thing...

There's going to be a nationwide "fire sale" of commercial radios in the next 2 years due to a change in the FCC rules requiring everyone (except railroads and ham radio) to switch to narrow-band radios. Most commercial radios in use today are not capable of narrow-band operation.