• Saw an Excursion train from rt 78

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by james1787

My wife and I were travelling west on Rt 78. I think we were in the Easton area. My wife spotted a Steam Engine passenger excursion from the highway with at least a good 6+ maroon cars trailing. I didn't get a good look as to what the steamer was (just caught a glimpse and was too busy watching the road - go figure) I'm just wondering what it was we saw? I know the New Hope and Ivyland has a running steamer with all maroon Pullman cars - but that is much further south. Heading west it was on the right hand side.
  by 56-57

That's the Delaware River Rail Ride (fairly sure that's the 'name'). The line is the Belvidere-Delaware division of the Black River and Western, and runs from Phillipsburg south. The equipment is owned by the Susquehanna Technical and Historical Society, both the coaches and the 1989 Chinese steam engine (that's the 142 if you were wondering where she went!).

Boarding is done in P'burg, it's a nice trip, and they're working to get more track open for the excursions.

Hope this helps.

MJK
  by james1787

MJK,

Thanks for the info! I've only seen photos of the 142, it was neat to see it in person as we drove by. It's hard to believe that thing was only built 20 years ago. It was defintely a head turning "whoah, you don't see that every day!" moment as we drove by. I'll have to google their website and check out the excursions.
  by Cadguru

I have ridden it. It is pretty cool.
I am taking my sons on it for the Polar Express Ride in December.