• Salem County Line - Swedesboro to Salem - Operated by: West Jersey, SRNJ, US Rail, SMS

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by chuchubob

Pinewald Station wrote:What businesses/customers are on that line? There is a power plant in Salem? Is that on the line?
The Salem power plant is a nuclear plant. No need to receive coal nor ship ash by rail.

Bob
  by DougD

JJMDiMunno wrote: Why someone would want to do this, I don't know...but they did.

Mike DiMunno
And it Cost them $1800 non refundable... Unless they sent a fake check with the fake filing....

Doug D.
  by Ken W2KB

chuchubob wrote:
Pinewald Station wrote:What businesses/customers are on that line? There is a power plant in Salem? Is that on the line?
The Salem power plant is a nuclear plant. No need to receive coal nor ship ash by rail.

Bob
If the Feds had gotten around to approving a spent fuel depository (Yucca Mountain) would have been a good chance the shipment would have gone by rail. :(
If the proposal to build Hope Creek 2 unit goes to fruition there, then there may be traffic generated for rail for construction materials, though barges would be competition.
  by DougD

Trainlawyer wrote:First, to Chessie GM50:
( Side note to DougD: I can assure you brother McFarland did not send a “fake check with the fake filing”. His client’s check for the filing fees and his retainer would have cleared before he sent it.)
Trainlawyer I was being skeptical of the false filing claim... as I was from the beginning with my first post. I later did some research on Mr. McFarland and found that he has many filings with the STB and thats why I questioned the idea of somebody spending $1800 on nothing. Yes lets see what plays out, if JP Rail, Inc. (SRNJ) or Salem County files a comment/response to this filing.

Doug D.
  by JJMDiMunno

Does anyone care to translate exactly what this filing means for those of us that do not hold law degrees? Does it simply imply that if SRNJ were to decide they were no longer interested in the Salem county operation, that this Salem Industrial Railroad could then step in as operator? Does it serve the primary purpose of simply solidifying their position in a legal manner as successor to the SRNJ as operator of that trackage if they were to step down?

And yes...the gentleman who posted the report to SJRA announcing the presence of this filing does have credibility...and is certainly a person that I know...which is why I was confused myself, and got the input of SRNJ sources, who gave me the information I posted above. I post only what I am told from sources I consider reliable...I do not speculate.

Mike DiMunno
  by JJMDiMunno

Crystal clear - thanks for the explaination sir.

Mike DiMunno
  by Otto Vondrak

I'm just glad trainlawyer is on our side! :-) Thank you for taking the time to explain the process to us.

-otto-
  by BrianM

I am the person from the SJRA forum that posted that it is a false filing. I was given that information from the RR attorney as well as the owner. The SRNJ has not entered into ANY agreement with SIR to give up the line. The SRNJ still has a couple of years left on their operating agreement with an 10 year option. They have no intention on giving the line up. I have been told that this should be taken care of this week.

Just a side note/statement, yes the SRNJ has stated in the past they would have liked to get out of Salem due to the track conditions. They have worked hard to secure funds for some rebuild projects. Things have been turning around for the line. Those talks of giving up the line have stopped.

Brian
  by wolfboy8171981

Are the Principal owners of Salem Industrial Railway INC known?
  by BrianM

They are known to the SRNJ...

Brian
  by CRB

wolfboy8171981 wrote:Are the Principal owners of Salem Industrial Railway INC known?
Their mailing address comes up as "Continental Aggregates Corporation".
  by BrianM

Over Educated? LOL!

Anyway, the terms/words that I used are the exact words that came from the attorney for the railroad. To break it down even further, the SRNJ did not enter into an agreement with the SIR to turn over the operations of the line. The SRNJ is not looking to give up their rights on the line. To the best of my knowledge, there is still 2-3 years left of their contact with the option of a 10 year extension. So yes, 2B would be correct. All of this information has been given to me by the attorney for the RR.

I posted this information the other day as to stop any speculation by the railfan community. I thought that was evident. Guess not?

In reference to Bensalem & Donora, Bensalem was to be a new C&D facility with facilities for railcar storage and repair (this would have included private varnish). This was to be a purchase or property and laying new rail in an existing complex. The deal did not go through. I do not know anything in reference on Donora. I may know of it under a different project name.

Now, I have stated in the past that I am not on the SRNJ payroll. This statement is 100% true, but, I am very much involved in many ways with the RR. Also, to the best of my knowledge, the statement that I made in the past about not speaking for the SRNJ mngt was directed to my comments about the CMSL.

Brian
  by EDM5970

Former WTCO 59 was used on one leg of an excursion, between Swedesboro and Salem, in May, 1997. The unit was filling in for pseudo-NYO&W F-7 728, which was not delivered to Salem in time. I believe this trip was operated as part of a Mid-Atlantic Region NRHS gathering.

Does anyone have any photos of this movement? Better yet would be some video.

Thanks,

E.D. Moxley
Amsterdam Leasing
  by PVRX1

{original comment withdrawn}
  by DougD

End of Story...

Salem Industrial Railway files a motion to withdraw their notice of exemption.

LAW OFFICE
THOMAS E MCFARLAND, PC.
208 SOUTH LASALLE STREET - SUITE 1890
CHICAGO, ILLINOIS 60604-1 112
TtLEPHONh (312) 236-0204
FAX (3 12) 201 -9695
mcfarland@aol com
THOMAS E McRtRLAND February 9, 2009
By e- filing
Anne K. Qumlan, Esq.
Acting Secretary
Surface Transportation Board
395 E Street, SW, Suite 100
Washington, DC 20024
Re Finance Docket No. 35209, Salem Industrial Railway, Inc - Change In
Operators Exemption — Rail Line of Salem County, New Jersey between
Sweedsboro and Salem in Salem County, NJ
Dear Ms Quintan*
Salem Industrial Railway, Inc (SIR) hereby seeks leave to withdraw the Verified Notice
of Exemption that it filed in the above proceeding on January 27, 2009 Withdrawal is
necessitated because it turns out that SIR does not currently have an underlying contractual right
to operate the rail line SIR would file a new Verified Notice of Exemption if it were to obtain
that right
Very truly yours,
Thomas F McFarland
Attorney for Applicant,
Salem Industrial Railway, Inc
wpSO\l347\efstbl
cc Mr Mark Ward
Mr. Steve Moms
Mr Michael Foghetta
Elaine Voyles, Esq
Mr Mike Chapman
Mr Michael Allen