• Roselle Park Gauntlet track usage?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by davebdawg

Was passing by Roselle Parks train station today and I noticed that a freight train like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdQfj7iu ... re=related was heading west on track 2 which BTW is not the gauntlet trackage that track 1 has as you can see.
What types of freights is the gauntlet track used for?, I thought it was for all freight trains as I always thought that were wider than passenger trains.
  by Jtgshu

davebdawg wrote:Was passing by Roselle Parks train station today and I noticed that a freight train like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdQfj7iu ... re=related was heading west on track 2 which BTW is not the gauntlet trackage that track 1 has as you can see.
What types of freights is the gauntlet track used for?, I thought it was for all freight trains as I always thought that were wider than passenger trains.
the gauntlet is only on track 2 at Roselle Park (on track 1 and 2 at Union station) and the inner track is only supposed to be used for passenger trains, freight trains are supposed to stay on the outer set of tracks. This is the case at both stations. If a freight train is lined for the gauntlet they are supposed to stop and call the dispatcher, unless maybe the dispatcher told them ahead of time they might be using the guantlet due to switch failure or something like that. It happens :)

that gondola that hit the side of the platform doesn't look like its going to be in service much longer! The side wall looked like it was starting to fail and bulge out , and thats why it hit the platform edge.

the wood strip on the edge of the platform is called the rub rail, and thats what it name implies, trains that will hit it, will rub against it and chew up the wood, and destroy the wood, but its better than being more solid like a concrete edge and destroying the car or platform and maybe causing a derail. Trains hit the rub rails all the time - even sometimes passenger trains do as well, but usually with the pax trains, its the loco thats hitting it. Ive hit several platforms with the handrails on a Geep - makes quite a racket......

Its says stay behind yellow line for a reason, and thats just video proof of another, less obvious reason! Great catch tho.
  by davebdawg

My mistake on the track numbers, yes track one is the one the Scraper Gondola is on but what I don't understand is that I have been at the Roselle station before and have seen passenger trains using that side of the platform with no really big gap from the platform,That's why I thought the gauntlet track was there, just for the freight trains. Just like in this video, I don't see the freights using the track without the gauntlet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAlGh5xq7gs&NR=1
What's the story?
  by wolfboy8171981

Sigh.

Nothing gives. From time to time the railroad moves cars of excissive dimentions. Center Island platforms sometimes get in the way of this. The Gauntlet is used on those tracks to line freight trains away from the platform. As a rule of thumb all freight are lined away from the platform, as are passenger trains and equipment moves not stoping at the station ( when lined "for the station" it is a diverging move and a slower siginal is displayed[ so I am told]). In the rare instance that the passenger train that stops at Roselle Park or Union is lined away from the station, Bridge Plates are used to mind the gap. Freight trains with excessive dimentions are prohibited from operating on Track #1 at Roselle Park, and the paper work will state this

CP-Townley By wolfboy8171981 at 2011-04-02

CP-Aldene/CP-Roselle Park By wolfboy8171981 at 2011-04-02
  by davebdawg

That's what I thought Wolfie, thanks for the explanation, those pics of the track layout are Kewl I suppose the green line is the planned route?
And under the CP point designations what are the MC LO CF FL letters ect. refer to?
Would you post the one up for Potter?
Thanks.
  by wolfboy8171981

The Green trace is the route that the Disp has lined up. The two letter codes under the CP-Name are indications that the CP is displaying. in the photo they are all dark so there is no issues. MC is Maintaner Call, LO= Local Control, CF= Code Failure, FL= unknown, BO=Bulb Out, PO=Power Off, SM=Snow Melters, LN=Link Failure, GF=Ground Fault.
  by GSC

The first time I was on the platform at Roselle Park, an eastbound passenger train arrived, absolutely silent. (In push mode).

A westbound freight came by later. What a rush as that train roared by! Like a thrill ride just standing there.
  by SecaucusJunction

If you want to see an example of what happens when a train hits the rub rail, head to the Route 17 station. I was up there yesterday and there are large shards of wood littering much of the platform and the rub rail is in many pieces all along the westbound platform. It seems like if anyone was standing there at the time, serious injuries could have occurred as that wood is sharp when it is severed.