• Ridgefield Park 7/15

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

by Dougster

Hi gang!

Spent a short time at the old Ridgefield Park station this morning. Caught a NYSW yard move with GP-18 1802 doing the honors. It was pulling about 35 cars, mostly trash cars. I guess they were pulling them north to the yard there for the next westbound. A southbound CSX intermodal train was just north of the grade crossing waiting for this move to get out of the way so it can go into the Little Ferry yard. After this train passed, a light engine move (2 units) went north. A CSX SD-60 and a UP SD-70. They were traveling long hood forward with a crewman riding the lead unit on the "porch". I guess to watch ahead. The engineer was in the 2nd unit so it would be hard to see ahead. Anyone have any idea where these units were going. I was a similar move about 2 days ago around the same time.

As I started home I went past the NYSW engine terminal and there they were, 4 MLW units. This was the first time I've seen them up close. One thing I did notice was one of the units (if not more) were making alot of hissing/popping sounds. I heard Alco units idle before and they didn't make these noises. Is this normal for these units? They were really a sight to see. Of course I did not have a camera. Not bad for an hour.

by Ol' Loco Guy

The noises you heard were the main reservoir drain valves doing their thing.