• Rhinebeck & Connecticut

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
  by dbaker4572

I have some basic information about the Rhinebeck & Connecticut Railroad.
The R&C ran from Rhinecliff to State Line.

Here is a list of the owners of the R&C and the year they took control

Rhinebeck & Connecticut - 1872
Hartford & Connecticut Western - 1882
Central New England & Western - 1889
Philadelphia, Reading & New England - 1892
Central New England - 1899
New York, New Haven & Hartford - 1927

Passenger service ends - 1933
Abandonment - 1938

List of Stations:
Rhinecliff
Rhinebeck
Red Hook
Spring Lake
Ellerslie
Jackson Corners
Gallatinville
Ancram
Copake
Boston Corners
Mount Riga
State Line

If anyone has any additional information on the R&C please let me know.
  by Bernard Rudberg

Our 2005 CNE historical tour traveled the R&C RR from State Line to Rhinecliff and back. I wrote the guide book for that tour with many photos etc. What info are you looking for ?

Bernie Rudberg
  by Bernard Rudberg

I have posted many of the photos from that R&C guide book to the following web site. Take a look.

http://www.lakemirabel.com/Railroad/Rhi ... ticut.html

That web site has several hundred pictures and history from most of the railroads of Dutchess County.

Bernie Rudberg

by dbaker4572

Thanks Bernie,

I am looking for any information I can get.

I grew up in Red Hook and was never able to get any information on the R&C. The Village of Red Hook told me to ask Rhinebeck when I went to them looking for some info (pre internet days).

I have been able to get some information from the site you mentioned and also from the Ulster & Delaware Railroad Historical Society, which I belong.

But.. .I am left wanting more. I wish there were some books out just on the R&C.
  by Bernard Rudberg

As far as I know the only book about the R&C is one that I put together for the CNE historical tour a couple years ago. It was the "guide book" which was given to each rider on the bus tour. Much of the material in that gude book is posted on the web site.

Bernie Rudberg