• REROUTING OF Q620/621 VIA CSX PORT SUB/ CP NORTH END?

• Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPKCR.com. Includes Kansas City Southern. There is also a KCS sub-forum for prior operations: kansas-city-southern-and-affiliates-f153.html
Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPKCR.com. Includes Kansas City Southern. There is also a KCS sub-forum for prior operations: kansas-city-southern-and-affiliates-f153.html

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

by Amtrak700

Just wondering if anyone knows what the delay is from running the 2 CN trains that run from Selk. NY to Mtr, currently over the mohawk, to the CSX Port Sub/ CP North end? I heard it was supposed to start this year, havent seen anything yet except a few detours. Heard some CP crews were requalifying from Kenwood to Selkirk. Any truth to this?? Thanks!!!

by D&H7312

All affected train and engine crew personel have been re-qualified on CSX rules. Physical characteristics qualifying will be done when the trains start running using CSX pilot crews until D&H crews are up to speed. Reported that the new start date is June 1. All legal paperwork/agreements are in place and the ball is in the CSX court to start.

by SecaucusJunction

Is this a perminant change?

by D&H7312

Change will be as permanent as can be expected in the railroad business. I do not know the contract details, but the logic would dictate a long term affair.

by joha107

They are rerouting because of maintenance work on the CSX St. Lawrence Sub, these reroutes will likely last until the work curfews are over.

by D&H7312

Does the track work also include the reported $8 million to install the VACIS x-ray machine at the border crossing?

by SecaucusJunction

I'm sorry, but I dont understand why a line with 2 trains per day on it would have to reroute them just for work curfews on the line. I'm sure the crews arent going to work 24 hours per day so why not just send the trains through when they are not around... instead of qualifying crews on a completely different line?

by joha107

There are actually 4 trains a day, and locals, along with military extras. The Q620/621 trains are almost all runthrough traffic anyway and so rerouting those is easy, whats not runthrough can be handled by the other two trains B753/756. B753/756 are supposed to be run at night while work goes on during the day, the locals will probably work during the day. Track work is being done to try and knock out the numerous slow orders, including tie and rail replacement. No idea if anything more than that is included.

by lakeshoredave

No the Q620 and Q621 still run via Syracuse and Massena on CSX rails as of this day.

by D&H7312

Anticipated re-route is supposed to occur on July 16. CP/D&H is making several other changes July 9 to accomodate the increased traffic. Looks like a 'GO' this time, but stand-by for further developments.

by Skullitor

CSX is selling the "MONTREAL SUB" to the Montreal,Maine & Atlantic it's been said.
Skull

by roberttosh

With this CSXT/CN train now soon being rerouted over the old D&H, am thinking the joint ST/CPRS line West of Mechanicville is going to be a pretty busy place with 8-10 manifests and a few Intermodal trains per day, plus the occasional Coal train.

by Wanderer

SecaucusJunction wrote:I'm sorry, but I dont understand why a line with 2 trains per day on it would have to reroute them just for work curfews on the line. I'm sure the crews arent going to work 24 hours per day so why not just send the trains through when they are not around... instead of qualifying crews on a completely different line?
Because pretty much the entire route is single track, through some pretty remote locations. And actually, the crews are scheduled to blitz the line, working almost continuously.

As far as I have found, the whole situation with CSXT Q620/Q621 (aka: CN M32621/M32721, aka: CP 935/936) going via reroute is temporary.

As far as the sale of the Montreal Sub to the MM&A, they are interested, and CSX does want to dump the line, but it's all just rumor for now. We'll see what happens.

by lakeshoredave

CSX has been wanting to dump the Montreal line since 99. I would think someone will buy it out from them since it is a line they consider low on priority in maintaining.

by Skullitor

lakeshoredave wrote:CSX has been wanting to dump the Montreal line since 99. I would think someone will buy it out from them since it is a line they consider low on priority in maintaining.
It would seem a perfect fit for the SUZY Q.
Skull