• Reading GP-30's still in service?

• Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.
Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.

Moderator: Franklin Gowen

by nolifeCRchaser

Are any of the former Reading GP-30's still in service? If so, who is running them and where? I know there is a Reading GP-30 sitting in Temple, PA. Thanks in advance for any information.

by Urban D Kaye

Depends whom you ask... There are several ex-RDG GP30s still out there, tho I've found conflicting info on their status.

One source claims at least 7 remain in service:
http://www.geocities.com/ironhorseusa2000/gp30.htm

Another says 4 (including the RCT&HS #5513 at Temple):
http://www.readingrailroad.org/survivin ... equip.html

Of course, the RCT&HS unit is currently out of service and in need of repair. Is the Western Maryland's still running? How 'bout the Ohio Central's?

-Urban
  by geep39

Here's what I have:
3603 Green Valley Coal 2171
3606 Eastern Idaho 2274
3607 Western Maryland Scenic 2175
3608 Eastern Alabama Ry 2176
3612 Alabama & Gulf Coast 2180
3614 Metro East Industries 2182 (scrapped?)
3617 Indiana Northeastern 2185
3619 Ohio Central 2187

Looks like there are 8 plus 5513, which needs turbo work and power assemblies.

The GP-35's didn't quite fare as well.

by nolifeCRchaser

Thank you agin for the information. I am glad that at least one of them still wears the Reading paint. It is a shame that a lot of them were scrapped. They seem like they would be great engines for light switching/industraial work due to their size and weight. Nowadays GP-30's are becoming harder to find. I did see a Santa Fe bluebonnet GP-30 at our yard about a year ago. Then a few weeks later a Burlington Northern GP-30 and just yesterday a CSX GP-30 slug blew past the yard leading an auto train. Thanks again for the information.

by rcthswebmaster

I personally put together the surviving ex-Reading equipment list mostly from input from RCT&HS members and the internet. It's been a somewhat fluid list that I update when I come across new information or when what I've posted has been proven to be false through reliable sources. As far as the number of GP-30's still in service, I don't know whether the correct number is four or seven. Feel free though to contact me with any updates on surviving equipment. I'm always looking.

Regards,

Mike, RCT&HS Webmaster

by rcthswebmaster

I personally put together the surviving ex-Reading equipment list mostly from input from RCT&HS members and the internet. It's been a somewhat fluid list that I update when I come across new information or when what I've posted has been proven to be false through reliable sources. As far as the number of GP-30's still in service, I don't know whether the correct number is four or seven. Feel free though to contact me with any updates on surviving equipment. I'm always looking.

Regards,

Mike, RCT&HS Webmaster