• Ranks- how are they achieved? (was-Posting titles)

• General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.
General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

by Mike Roque

OK, I'm game. Does anyone object to removing the ranks?

by Otto Vondrak

I wouldnt mind if we removed the ranks. I agree that they can be misleading from time to time.

Mike- is there a way that administrators could assign custom ranks to certain users (if so desired)?

-otto-

by Mike Roque

Yeah, we can do that.

by Aa3rt

I hesitate to reply, realizing that this will add to MY post count, but I feel that these ranks only encourage certain individuals to inflate their post counts with "Yeah, me too!" or "Hey, that's cool!" types of posts.

While it doesn't seem to be as prevalent at this site, I've seen it often enough at other boards (not railroad related) where I'm a member.

by David Benton

Ok , I'll admit a small thrill at my 1000th post , but i too think they should go .

by Mike Roque

OK, the ranks are gone.

by MEC407

And there was much rejoicing!

j/k :wink:

Thanks Mike & Otto. :-)

by GOLDEN-ARM

Maybe we could rank shoe sizes, instead. Me, 9.5 although sometimes a 10, depending on the make............ :-D

by UPRR engineer

Those ranks were cheezy. Glad ya didnt switch to the RR titles as a few had suggested.

My feet are usually bigger too with a new one. :-D

by UPRR engineer

Whats you idea there Otto? as far as the title given.

by Otto Vondrak

I'm in favor of it- I'm glad we dropped the ranks because they were arbitrary and didn't really represent much at all.

-otto-

by Reddy Rocker

Not to mention that people could've spammed their way to "guruness". So I say good call removing the ranks.

by Robert Paniagua

Otto Vondrak wrote:I'm in favor of it- I'm glad we dropped the ranks because they were arbitrary and didn't really represent much at all.

-otto-
Me too, I'm glad these ranks have been dropped, especially with the issues with posting spam, etc just to earn that title. Makes me feel better.
  by henry6

You know I didn't realize the ranking were gone until mentioned on one forum...further, I didn't reazlize there were rankings to begin with until I notice a "rank" under my name and couldn't figure how it got there. Or why. Now I know. But I don't think they serve any real purpose so their being gone is probably a good thing.

by emd_SD_60

I was looking forward to having "Veteran" under my username, guess that won't be... Oh well, i'm not complaining. :wink: Funny I just noticed a few minutes ago the ranks disappeared.