• Railfanning in Westmoreland Co, PA

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by iceman977th

I'll be going up for Memorial Day to visit my grandparents, and I'll finally be able to go where I want while I'm up there! My grandparents live 300ft from the NS Conemaugh Line (albeit a single track portion), so I'll be looking out for trains there. Are there any lines in the Leechburg/Vandergrift/Freeport area I should go check out? Any pictures anyone wants? (Not great pictures, but at least decent quality)
  by EMTRailfan

*Freeport- The Kiski Junction RR is on the east/south side of the Allegheny River near the lock, and along the Kiski River paralleling the Coney Line on the opposite side. They are railfan friendly as long as you stay out of the way. If you ride and you meet Charlie and Mary (RR operators), they are 2 of the nicest ppl. that you will ever meet. Also, the B&P's P&S sub is on the opposite side of the Allegheny. I can't help you with any operating days/times for the B&P, but the Kiski Jct. runs a combo excursion/freight run to/from AK Ludlum Steel on Tues. & Thurs., and I believe a strictly excursion run (same route) on Sat. I believe they depart Schenley at 1300. They have a web site if you Google them that will give you a definite time.

EDIT- Just looked the site up, and it appears that the passenger runs don't start until June 1, and the departure time is 1400. They do still run the freight, but I can't answer if there is any variance in times/days since there are no passenger runs yet.
http://www.kiskijunction.com/