• Questions about the Big Four's Sandusky line

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by nkpcab77

I have a couple of questions about thr big four sandusky branch. Does anbody know when this line was abandoned between Clyde and Sandusky. Also, anybody know when it was dieselized and the type of motive power used before and after dieslization?
  by ChiefTroll

When I was Asst. Track Supervisor at Kenton in 1965 - 66, the Sandusky Line was in service between Kenton and Sandusky. The upper 20 miles was down to 5 mph maximum speed, a real punkin' vine. That part was abandoned sometime after I left Kenton, but not long after. I think NYC did it before the Penn Central merger. I'm not certain, but I think a Baldwin switcher from Carey handled that local freight once or twice a week.

The line had been retired between Belle Center and a point just south of Kenton before I arrived there in October 1965. It still crossed the Erie Lackawanna at HN (EL office call, "Sands" was the Big Four name for the tower).

The local name for the branch was the "Sheepskin."

by catfoodflambe

ChiefTroll- what was the rationale for unloading the section north of Belle Center so quickly? Was this due to structure failure ( washout, bridges, etc.), or was this just the most convenient place to sever the line as a through route, given the Bellefountaine/Ridgeway/Kenton alternative?
  by ChiefTroll

<<ChiefTroll- what was the rationale for unloading the section north of Belle Center so quickly?>>

I don't know if any particular condition triggered the abandonment. It happened before I arrived in Kenton.

I do know that just before I arrived in October 1965 the OC Western had been changed over from the Manual Block System to TCS. The Toledo - Bellefountaine traffic (BF-7, DSL-1, etc) that had moved on the OC Eastern via Berwick was re-routed over the OC Western via Findlay and Ridgeway. A new northwest quadrant connection was installed from the Western to the B-line at Ridgeway. That took away most of necessity for that piece of the Sandusky Line, and the NYC was always looking to get rid of unneeded track. I think it had some good 105 Dudley rail, which was getting scarce.
  by pinecreekrr

Jerry Taylor's "A Sampling of Penn Central" notes locals on the remaining Sandusky Line as CCK3/4 and CCK1/2, the latter, primarily a stone train.

These apparently also served to bring cars to Kenton, OH for a local switcher there. Any ideas about what loco type served as the Kenton switcher under PC, or perhaps NYC. Wondering if an SW8/9 might be an appropriate choice for modeling ?

Thanks for any help, Bruce
  by ChiefTroll

When I was in Kenton 1965-66, the Kenton switcher had a Big-4 crew. They usually had a Baldwin switcher. I'll have to match the model with my books when I'm home.

Suprprisingly, the OC crews - local LK-1 and LK-2, work trains and yard engines, usually had EMD's, such as an NW-2. It would most often be a 1000 or 1200 HP unit, and not an SW-8.
  by pinecreekrr

Thanks Chief Troll. I do recall a Baldwin switcher also on the Big 4 at Bellefountaine so it comes as no surprise to hear about one at Kenton as well.

Since I like EMD switchers, it is interesting that the OC locals (I'm assuming them to be on the "Western" section of the OC (NYC)) used 1000-1200 horse EMD's. What were the end points for their operation ? I'm guessing Kenton to (L ?).

Any ideas about assignment changes under PC ?

Does anyone know of a loco assignment list for PC ? Obviously I also need to go to the PC List, but i noticed that Cheif Troll seemsed to be familiar with Kenton.

Thanks for your help, Bruce
  by ChiefTroll

Really racking my memory here. In late 1965, the local freight on the OC Western picked up a new designation - LK-1 (north) and LK-2 (south) running each way daily except Sunday between West Columbus and Stanley, where the crew spent the night. The scheme was set up by the Columbus Trainmaster, Leonard Keen, who put his initials into the train symbol (why not, if it's your call). As best as I can remember, they used one or two GP-7's or -9's.

I know that if I ordered an OC work train out of West Columbus, I could be sure to see an NW-2 or similar EMD switcher. I never had a work train on the Big 4, and in truth we did little work of any kind up there. Between Berwick and Carey, though, it was still in good shape for 40 mph.

There was also a traveling switcher that worked out of Carey, and I'm sure I remember a Baldwin switcher on that job the few times I saw it. I think they went to Sandusky about once a week. That was a real trip, because the eastern 20 miles of the Sheepskin was slow-ordered to 5 mph.

I'm fairly certain that I recognize the Class DES-20 Baldwins, NYC numbers 9308-9328 as the Kenton and Carey switchers. They were renumbered in 1966 for Penn Central to 8092-8112, but I don't know where PC used them.

A little off the territory, but in January 1966 I was at Bryan on the CN when I ordered a work train for VanWert to Jackson and return. We got the 3812, a Baldwin RF-16 A unit that they dredged up from Sharonville. It was a real hoot with that thing running blind in reverse, with the fireman at the back door giving bell signals to the engineer.

I got covered with oil walking back alongside the prime mover. The Delavergne engines had outside valve rods, and they spewed lube oil all over the place.

Gordon
  by pinecreekrr

Gordon : Thanks again for all you've recalled about your time with the NYC in Kenton in 1965-6. All sorts of interesting experiences you've recounted that add to the flavor of a time which has long passed. Oh to have a chance to peek back in the time machine; I'd have been eighteen and I missed it.

It's really valuable what you've shared concerning locomotive assignments at several key cities along the Big 4 and OC in central Ohio. I've found nothing like your memories available anywhere, but right here.

Sounds like the SW8 may have to be replaced with another model.

Thanks, Bruce