• Questions about hiring out

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by Seadevil

Many moons ago, about 26 years, I was interested in hiring out. Young, single, knew what the job was (Dad was a conductor for the SP) and tired of college. Spoke to a gentleman in Tyler, TX and one of the questions he asked about was eyesight. So I went and had an exam, needless to say I did not qualify, I think at that time it was 20/70 uncorrected. So after 23 years in the Navy, I'm now out and seriously thinking about the RR again. So here are my questions:

1. What is the worst eyesight for disqualification?
2. If I taken Blood Pressure Meds in the past is it disqualifing?
3. During Med Exam, do you just go in and take a physical or do you list past medical history?
4. I've read in the various post that some were hired on Friday and at class on Monday. How normal is that? I truly would not want to alienate the people that I work for now, since they have done me right after my military retirement.
5. FOR BSNF, what is the normal rate of pay while in class? If you go out of the area for class, who is responsible for room and board?

Thank you in advance for any answers to the above questions.
  by jz441

Seadevil wrote:
1. What is the worst eyesight for disqualification?
Color blindness. As long as you can read fine print with the glasses or contacts, you are OK.
Seadevil wrote:2. If I taken Blood Pressure Meds in the past is it disqualifing?
No!
Seadevil wrote:3. During Med Exam, do you just go in and take a physical or do you list past medical history?
If I remember right, you list past medical history. With new privacy laws they can’t get records from your doctor, so if your medical past concerns you, don’t fill it out. However, if you had injuries at work or collected workman’s comp or disability, they will find out about it.
Seadevil wrote:4. I've read in the various post that some were hired on Friday and at class on Monday.
Yes,that does often happen at BNSF. I am not sure how other freight companies do this.
Seadevil wrote: I truly would not want to alienate the people that I work for now, since they have done me right after my military retirement.
My personal opinion is that railroads would like you to burn bridges with your former employer in case you decide you don’t like the job and want to go back. I work with quite a few people who have been "railroaded" in this way.

Seadevil wrote:5. FOR BSNF, what is the normal rate of pay while in class? .
When I was in training (8 years ago) we started off with about $3000 per month, and by the end of training I was making close to $4000 a month. They were paying us 7 days a week, and auto miles but I think that all has changed by now. You should make about $3000 a month. Maybe some new hires can comment on that.
Seadevil wrote: If you go out of the area for class, who is responsible for room and board?
Railroad pays for the room and board. Also, after you finish training...if you get forced out of your home terminal you're entitled to a hotel at Railroad's expense.
  by bnsfjordan

Seadevil wrote:1. What is the worst eyesight for disqualification?
On the BNSF, you have to have 20/40 in each eye, corrected or uncorrected.
Seadevil wrote:3. During Med Exam, do you just go in and take a physical or do you list past medical history?
You will fill out a medical history sheet at the physical. Whether the clinic gives those papers to the railroad, I don't know.
Seadevil wrote:4. I've read in the various post that some were hired on Friday and at class on Monday. How normal is that? I truly would not want to alienate the people that I work for now, since they have done me right after my military retirement.
I don't know how normal it is, but it certainly does happen.
Seadevil wrote:5. FOR BSNF, what is the normal rate of pay while in class?
Rate of pay during training depends on the property. Where I'm training is former BN and I get $129.94 per day. I believe former Santa Fe territories use a stepped pay scale.
  by jz441

bnsfjordan wrote:
You will fill out a medical history sheet at the physical. Whether the clinic gives those papers to the railroad, I don't know.
Everything that you fill out at the clinic that the railroad sends you to will be released to the railroad. Records from your past doctors they can’t touch.

by Seadevil

Thank you to everyone for some excellent answers. Things sure have changed since 1980. Only reason I didn't go to the Souther Pacific was my eyesight. So ended up in the Navy for almost 23 years. Still wouldn't change anything, hell how many kids from Southeast Missouri get to ride submarines.