• Putnam Div. Ten Wheelers- renumbering, reclassifying?

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Otto Vondrak

Me again with the Ten Wheelers. So I have old photos of 4-6-0 Ten Wheelers working the Put in the 1930s. They have 1000-series numbers. "Early NYC Power" says 1013 in particular was originally built as No. 887.

Would these engines eventually become the Class F-3's that retired on the Put? Did they get renumbered again before their retirement? Can someone help me find an approximate build date?

Thank you in advance.

-otto-

by BaltOhio

I'm confused. The number series you're describing were C-class 4-4-0s, built between 1890 and 1899. Originally these were NYC&HR #860-946, renumbered 1000-1075 (not in order) in 1913. Some were common on the Put into the 1930s, although only three survived as far as the 1936 renumbering (those became 4302-04).

The F-2/F-12 4-6-0s which were common on the Put in later steam years originally were mostly in the 2065-2166 series, with some in the 1900-series that ended on the B&A. The surviving NYC F-2/F-12s became 819-876 in 1936, and the further survivors became 1232-1289 in 1948.

by Otto Vondrak

OK, that explains a lot. If the 4-4-0's came off the roster in 1936, then that also helps date this photo I'm looking at.

So the photos I have of No. 1013 and No. 1038 leading trains through Van Cortlandt Park has to be before 1938. C class. Where did you find your information? I have a hard time tracking down early NYC steam.

-otto-

by BaltOhio

The handiest source for NYC steam and electric roster info is "Locomotives of the New York Central Lines," by Edward L. May and William D. Edson, self-published by Edson and May in 1966. It's obviously been long out of print, but I'm sure you can hunt one up somewhere.

More recently, the NYCSHS published a two-volume hardcover history of NYCsteam power by Bill Edson and Lansing Vail. This covers the system in engine-by-engine detail, from the beginnings, with the first volume devoted to NYC&HR, B&A, and later NYC System, and the second covering all the lines west of Buffalo (LS&MS, Big Four & predecessors, MC, T&OC, etc.). As far as I know, both are still in print.

by Otto Vondrak

Thanks for the pointers!

-otto-