• Public Service trolleys - Hoboken photos

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by Otto Vondrak

We have some photos from the late Hal Carstens that we are trying to identify... They look to be from the Jersey City/Hoboken area...

Is this near the elevated portion around Hoboken?

by umtrr-author

Second photo certainly looks like the base of the trestle between Hoboken and "the Heights" of Jersey City.

First photo: no real idea. I don't think that's either Dickinson or Ferris High School in the background... yes, that's not much help.
  by transit383

Did the PS trolleys have a route from Hoboken into Weehawken? That second photo could be leaving Hoboken and about to cross over the tracks into Weehawken.

1953 Aerial here
  by davehoboken

2nd picture is definitely the end of the Hoboken-JC el. View is facing south from "Court House" station (south side of Newark Ave) facing what would be today the corner of Central and Pavonia. The little yard was called Pavonia Yard. Color photos of the El are rare!!!

Still working on that top picture.
  by davehoboken

1st Photo is on Old Bergen Road between Greenville and Lembeck Aves in Jersey City. Car would be on its way to Greenville Carhouse (Old Bergen & Gates)
  by oldrow51

Just picked up a dvd "New Jersey Trolleys in the Mid Century" and in one of its first scenes is several of the trolleys ascending and descending this very incline. As a long time resident of Jersey City I knew the trolleys traveled over a trestle down Central avenue but didn't know where it dropped down to street level. There was still evidence of the trestle near Newark avenue until just recently when a bracket support for the trestle was recently removed from the wall of old garage.
  by Otto Vondrak

umtrr-author wrote:First photo: no real idea. I don't think that's either Dickinson or Ferris High School in the background... yes, that's not much help.
Building is listed as CREATE High School, a charter school that closed in 2010. I can't find what the old name used to be. Any help? Was it "Saint Paul's Grammar School?"

When did streetcar service end on this route? Thanks in advance...
  by pumpers

Otto Vondrak wrote:
Building is listed as CREATE High School, a charter school that closed in 2010. I can't find what the old name used to be. Any help? Was it "Saint Paul's Grammar School?"
Yes, an old Sanborn map lists it as St Pauls R.C. School - I assume a grammar school.
jS